Absent storyline mars Mohanlal starrer (Malayalam film review)March 30th, 2009 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Sagar alias Jackie Reloaded”; Cast: Mohanlal, Bhavana, Shobhana, Suman; Director and Cinematographer: Amal Neerad; Music Director: Gopi Sunder; Rating: * 1/2
The resurrection of a character played by Mohanlal in 1987 to critical acclaim and box office success in “Irupathaam Noottandu” fails to excite because Amal Neerad’s direction and cinematography are centred only on technical brilliance. He has ignored basics like a decent plot and plausible screenplay.
While characters created 22 years ago by director K. Madhu were pithy and realistic, their latest avatar in “Sagar alias Jackie Reloaded” fail to impress.
An unapologetic anti-hero was a novelty in the past.
The modern-day trappings of designer clothes, fashion-statements like sunglasses, flashy cars and exotic locales with Mohanlal at their centre strutting confidently to avenge the murder of his girlfriend are no doubt lapped up by his fans.
Neerad just about manages to keep the larger-than-life image of Mohanlal under discernible control and that is where it all starts and ends.
Mohanlal, as usual, delivers with aplomb. Jegathy as the Telugu speaking politician excels. But the others including Shobhana, Suman et al are mere cardboard cutouts.
Neerad’s cinematography is excellent as each frame embellishes the dark mood of the proceedings. The music is nothing to write home about.
- Mrugaya to get a Tamil remake - Dec 10, 2009
- Malayalam film industry is superstitious, says director - Oct 24, 2010
- Anwar to lack star power - Jan 29, 2010
- Prithviraj Featuring Anwar Postponed Again - Jul 29, 2010
- Great Opening For Anwar - Oct 20, 2010
- Follow the parent - star kids shine in Malayalam cinema - Aug 27, 2011
- Antony's minimum guarantee scheme raises problems - Mar 18, 2009
- Bhavana signs another Kannada movie - Aug 21, 2010
- Bhavana: Marriage Rumour Upsets Her - Jan 19, 2011
- Big movies to hit theatres in summer - Mar 21, 2009
- Amal turns to Tamil films - Dec 12, 2009
- '1971' director's next a romantic comedy (With Images) - Jun 26, 2012
- Amal Neerad's Anwar's gets launched - Jan 07, 2010
- Mamta Mohandas pairs up with Prithviraj - Dec 21, 2009
- Prithvi's expectations from Anwar - Apr 01, 2010
Tags: aplomb, box office success, cardboard cutouts, cinematography, clothes fashion, critical acclaim, dark mood, decent plot, designer clothes, fashion statements, flashy cars, larger than life, life image, madhu, malayalam film, mohanlal, music director, no doubt, shobhana, technical brilliance