Abhay Deol’s professor roleMarch 31st, 2009 - 2:46 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
No, he’s not playing such a role in a movie. Actually Abhay Deol’s having the time of his life in the US. From being a welding student, he’s now giving lectures too there.
Reportedly he wooed the audience with his speech at the prestigious Wharton business school of the University Of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.
He talked about topics like multiplex versus single screen films to the new economy to Bollywood going global and on various aspects of avant-garde cinema
He said of the March 21 speech, “It was a fun experience. The audience was very receptive and excited. I didn’t go with any theme in mind. I was asked questions about Bollywood. A lot of them were to do with how the industry has been up till now and about how it is changing rapidly.”
He also added, “We spoke of the ‘multiplex’ film versus the ’single screen’ film, of the new economy, the new generation of film watchers, the possibility of Bollywood going global, and talent out there which is yet to be tapped.”
From day one he’s acted in films like “Socha Na Tha’, “Ahista Ahista’ “Manorama Six Feet Under’, “Oye Lucky Oye’ and more recently “Dev D’. So much so that now he’s being seen as the voice of a specific kind of niche avant-garde cinema in Bollywood.
He added, “A lot of the questions had to do with my choice of films. The hall was packed and we got asked many questions. One person even asked me about how some of the sequences in Dev D were shot, primarily the ones where I was rigged with the camera.”
He also talks about how happy he’s in New York. After ’suddenly rising’ Freida Pinto, he’s another star who loves the city.
He informed, “I love this city. I feel at home here as the people are very much like they are in Mumbai and I have my own place. I do cook, but I mostly eat out and I keep my place clean. Once in two weeks I have a maid who comes and cleans the apartment.”
He will only return to Mumbai to shoot for Anil Kapoor’s “Ayesha’ with Sonam Kapoor after his dates are sorted out.
He’s also been linked up with Soha Ali Khan in the past, and now Sonam and ‘Miss Great Britain’ Preeti Desai and Abhay simply says: “The Indian press would link me with a pizza if I was spotted carrying one with me.”
This guy sure is doing pretty well in life, his own unconventional way. -Sampurn Media
- Abhay Deol lectures at Wharton, impresses audience - Mar 30, 2009
- Abhay Deol Lectures At Wharton, Holds Audience Spellbound - Mar 30, 2009
- "My Shanghai Is Not Going To Be Shot In China." -- Dibakar Banerjee Speaks For The First Time On His New Film. - Sep 09, 2010
- Bollywood's woman directors call shots - and are heard - Sep 10, 2010
- Bollywood's woman filmmakers call shots - and are heard Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Abhay Deol's jitters in sky for 'Zindagi Na...' - Jun 22, 2011
- I'm nervous about my TV debut: Sanjay Dutt (Movie Snippets) - Jul 30, 2011
- Indian avant garde art gets market tilt (Feature, With Images) - Mar 01, 2012
- Abhay Deol - one life, different takes - Feb 28, 2010
- I've always aimed for commercial success: Dibakar (Movie Snippets) - Apr 14, 2012
- Change of wardrobe for Abhay Deol in 'Aisha' - Aug 01, 2010
- Dark humour, thrillers on Abhay Deol's mind - Jan 16, 2011
- Bollywood last alternative to Hollywood: Director Dibakar Banerjee (Interview) - May 26, 2012
- The bold, naughty Bollywood heroine comes of age - Nov 18, 2011
- 'Basra' will be out of the box: Abhay Deol (Interview) - Oct 28, 2009
Tags: abhay deol, anil kapoor, audience, ayesha, freida, garde cinema, march 21, mumbai, new economy, new generation, niche, pinto, screen film, screen films, sequences, six feet, socha, sonam kapoor, university of pennsylvania, wharton business school