Abhay Deol Returns To India This WeekJune 16th, 2009 - 11:36 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Subhash K Jha
He was missing from the action in Mumbai when his revisionist interpretation of Devdas in Dev D had the nation and its favourite cultural ally in a thrall.
But Abhay Deol currently at home in New York is all set to return to Mumbai this week.
Speaking from New York Abhay says, “I’m coming back in mid-June so there will be at least two weeks to prepare.I’m also starting my own production company, and have written the next treatment for my script. So my hands are full.”
Abhay intends to make the best of his stint in Mumabu before he returns to New York
New York feels like home for Abhay. “I don’t feel like a New Yorker. But I’m definitely enjoying my stay.”
Abhay has so far played only central characters in all his films from Imtiaz Ali’s Socha Na Tha to Anurag Kashyap’s Dev D.
If as Abhay says he is happy to take the backseat for a change, then Anil Kapoor’s Ayesha is just the movie he has been waiting for.
Doting father that he is Anil Kapoor is sparing no expenses to make sure darlimg daughter Sonam gets the most lavish home production possible.
Though Abhay Deol has been signed on to play the male lead the complete focus of the pre-production activities has been none other than Sonam.
“And rightly so,” says a source. “It’s Sonam’s home production. And she has selected everything from the theme (Jane Austen’s Emma ) to all the clothes (being done by Hollywood’s chic designer Mona May). The three male protagonists, Abhay, Cyrus Shahukar and newcomer Arunoday Singh, are incidental. In fact their collective remuneration for the film would be less than what Sonam’s elaborate gowns and dresses would cost.”
So where does that leave Abhay Deol who is habituated to the helm?
Speaking from New York where he’s currently stationed Abhay says, “Every film does not have to be from the viewpoint of my character.In fact I’m excited about this film. I’ll have a less hectic schedule than Sonam and it will be refreshing to see someone else on the set more often than me.”
Doesn’t it bother Abhay that Ayesha is an out-and-out Sonam vehicle?
“If you say it’s a Sonam vehicle, it’s natural considering the story’s a romantic comedy from the point of view of the girl and I’m playing the main lead actor.My role is the Mr. Knightly character from the literary novel Emma. All those who have read the book will know exactly what kind of a role it is and how well- defined it is.”
Abhay’s look, he says, ” will be on the preppy side. Rich, well- groomed, urban.”
But when do the male members of the cast get some attention?? -Sampurn Media
- Abhay Deol returns to India for 'Ayesha' - Jun 18, 2009
- Abhay Deol learns Salsa for Sonam - Aug 12, 2009
- Abhay Deol takes Salsa lessons for 'Ayesha' - Aug 12, 2009
- Anil Kapoor ropes in award-winning writer for daughter - Sep 03, 2009
- Mohit Suri hunting for girlfriend? (Movie Snippets) - Jul 03, 2011
- Abhay Deol on why he agreed to be in multi-hero film - Feb 17, 2010
- Change of wardrobe for Abhay Deol in 'Aisha' - Aug 01, 2010
- Sonam Kapoor in love with Delhi - Sep 06, 2009
- I'm nervous about my TV debut: Sanjay Dutt (Movie Snippets) - Jul 30, 2011
- Dark humour, thrillers on Abhay Deol's mind - Jan 16, 2011
- Abhay Deol On Why Agreed To Be In Zoya's Multi-Hero Film - Feb 15, 2010
- Abhay Deol's jitters in sky for 'Zindagi Na...' - Jun 22, 2011
- I have gate crashed 'Aisha' music launch: Anil Kapoor - Jul 04, 2010
- Imran Khan Said No To Anil's Offer - Aug 03, 2010
- I'm almost half-naked in 'Aisha': Ira Dubey (With image) - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: abhay deol, anil kapoor, ayesha, backseat, devdas, gowns and dresses, hectic schedule, helm, jane austen, male protagonists, mona, mumbai, new yorker, newcomer, remuneration, sonam, stint, subhash, thrall, viewpoint