Abducted Italian journalists kept hostage in TripoliAugust 25th, 2011 - 7:04 am ICT by IANS
Rome, Aug 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The four Italian journalists, who were abducted Wednesday in Libya, have been kept in apartments in southern suburbs of Tripoli, Italy’s Consul in Benghazi Guido De Sanctis said.
Armed militants abducted two correspondents of Corriere della Sera newspaper, Elisabetta Rosaspina and Guiseppe Sarcina, along with Domenico Quirico, a correspondent from La Stampa daily, and Claudio Monici, a correspondent from Avvenire newspaper, some 80 km (some 50 miles) from the Libyan capital.
“The four journalists are in apartments in Tripoli between Bab al-Azizia district and Rixos hotel,” De Sanctis was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera website.
According to Italian media, the car carrying journalists was stopped by armed assailants Wednesday. They killed the driver, robbed the journalists and then handed them over to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s supporters.
One of the journalists, Claudio Monici, managed to get in touch later with his Avvenire newspaper management and described what happened to them.
European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton has expressed hope that the journalists would be rescued as soon as possible.
- Abducted Italian journalists freed in Libya (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Former Gaddafi aide lands in Italy with family - Aug 22, 2011
- Gaddafi threatens to kill Berlusconi: Italian daily - Jul 31, 2011
- We are in the G8 of sport: Italian Olympic panel chief - Aug 14, 2012
- Spielberg fined in Italy - Jul 26, 2011
- Didn't arm protesters, Berlusconi tells Gaddafi - Feb 24, 2011
- Media blackout as Italian journalists protest muzzle law - Jul 09, 2010
- Turkish imam says Santa Claus 'dishonest' - Dec 29, 2011
- Passenger attacks pilot over delayed flight - Aug 15, 2012
- Pizza, cappuccino prices in Italy doubled with euro - Dec 30, 2011
- Italy regrets fishermen killing, row persists (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Two Libyan journalists killed in NATO raid: Official - May 13, 2011
- Reporters imprisoned in Libya - Aug 24, 2011
- Drug bust at Berlusconi company - Nov 08, 2011
- George Clooney's girlfriend accused of taking drugs in Italy - Jul 30, 2010
Tags: abducted, assailants, bab, benghazi, consul, corriere della sera, guido de sanctis, italian journalists, italian media, la stampa, libyan capital, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, muammar gaddafi, policy chief, ria novosti, rixos hotel, sarcina, southern suburbs, tripoli italy