Aamir now owns Shammi Kapoor’s jacketAugust 1st, 2012 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IANS) Bollywood star Aamir Khan can now take pride in owning legendary actor Shammi Kapoor’s jacket, one among the six film memorabilia items he bid for, at the Osian’s Cinefan auction here. Aamir spent a total of Rs.238,000 at the event.
The auction, held here Tuesday, was held as part of the ongoing 12th Osian’s-Cinefan Film Festival. It turned out to be a success with sales of Rs.69.55 lakh and 86 percent lots sold.
Aamir and his wife Kiran Rao, who reportedly bid for six collector’s items valued at Rs.238,000, including late Shammi Kapoor’s jacket for Rs.88,000 on phone.
Gurgaon-based entertainment hub Kingdom of Dreams successfully bid for the full rights to the last recorded song of legendary Kishore Kumar who recorded it three days before his death in 1987. Kingdom of Dreams will use it for its new musical show “Jhumroo”, which celebrates the spirit of the singer. They got it for Rs.15.6 lakh.
The auction offered vintage and rare posters, show-cards, stills, song-synopsis booklets among other artefacts.
The highlights were 45 signed black and white photographic stills by the evergreen Dev Anand; rare Satyajit Ray designed film posters of the 1960s; the turquoise ring set in silver worn by Farooque Sheikh in Muzaffar Ali’s famous “Umrao Jaan”; a cricket bat signed by Aamir Khan and the team from “Lagaan” (INR 156,000).
According to Neville Tuli, founder chairman, Osian’s: “The auction emphatically indicated that an enormous potential exists for developing the market for Indian cinema memorabilia, and that the film fraternity now feels a sense of respect for its cinematic heritage.”
“Hereafter no one will dismiss these items as raddi (junk). They are collectibles and they have significant financial value,” Tuli said in a statement.
The auction also had rare photographic stills and show-cards from films like “Aan”, “Mother India”, “Dil Diya Dard Liya” and “Leader”.
It also included many posters from Rajesh Khanna’s films such as “Aradhana”, “Amar Prem” and “Andaz”.
- Osian back with second mega auction of movie art - Jul 11, 2012
- Indian, world cinema set new trends at Osian's film fest (Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- Kishoreda's last song to get new sounds for 'Jhumroo' - Aug 02, 2012
- India's screen divas are symbols of Indian femininity: Neville Tuli (Interview)(With Image) - Jun 15, 2012
- Market for antiquities still strong in India: Neville Tuli (With Images) - Jan 30, 2012
- Osian's film fest back with rare, bold films - Jul 11, 2012
- Osianama to open in Delhi, not Mumbai - Jul 11, 2012
- Monroe's items set auction on fire - Dec 18, 2011
- Amitabh Bachchan to grace Jaipur Literature Festival - Jan 16, 2009
- Osian's film fest begins with tribute to Rajesh Khanna - Jul 28, 2012
- Husain, Souza highlights of OSIAN's auction - Jun 18, 2010
- Padamsee's painting sells for Rs.2.52 cr at Osian's auction (With Images) - Jun 24, 2010
- Elvis' bible sold - Sep 10, 2012
- Houston's memorabilia fetches $80,000 - Apr 02, 2012
- 'World's most expensive' film poster to be sold for $700K! - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: aamir khan, bollywood star, cinema memorabilia, cinematic heritage, cricket bat, dev anand, dil diya, entertainment hub, film memorabilia, indian cinema, kingdom of dreams, kishore kumar, legendary actor, muzaffar ali, osian, rajesh khanna, rare posters, shammi kapoor, turquoise ring, umrao jaan