AA DEKHEN ZARA and EK open to ordinary response, VIDESH nosedivesMarch 30th, 2009 - 10:24 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Joginder Tuteja
Yet another weekend has passed by for Bollywood and it is clear that there would still be some more time required before industry as well as audiences would be smiling again. Three films released over the weekend gone by but none of them took an opening which could be termed as good, let alone be considered terrific! (On second thoughts, except for RAAZ - THE MYSYERY CONTINUES, no other movie release this year has seen a terrific start with ‘Dev D’ being only good to an extent)
Coming back to the three releases of the weekend, AA DEKHEN ZARA, EK - THE POWER OF ONE and VIDESH - HEAVEN ON EARTH, each of them saw a diverse response from the audience. Both AA DEKHEN ZARA and EK - THE POWER OF ONE catered to their target audiences, belonging to multiplexes and single screens respectively. Still, even footfalls here weren’t phenomenal which could lift the spirits of Bollywood.
Let’s talk about AA DEKHEN ZARA first. The film was best publicized of the lot and promised to get the best opening amongst the three releases. This is what exactly happened for this Neil Nitin Mukesh and Bipasha Basu starrer. However, the release was marred by the fact that not all multiplexes were playing it due to which this supernatural thriller did suffer quite a lot. In single screens, it took a poor opening while select multiplexes too saw less than 50% footfall mainly because a) audiences weren’t hyped enough to watch the film and b) not everyone was aware that the film had actually released in some properties. Since the word of mouth has been average as well, it will be film’s progress in week to follow which will decide it’s fate.
EK - THE POWER OF ONE had hardly any chances in the multiplexes and this was pretty much on display with a mere 10%-20% opening that this Bobby Deol and Nana Patekar starrer witnessed. As expected, the North belt as well as interiors were slightly better and for those looking for their regular dose of vintage masala offering, this action film did have something to offer. The film has held on well over the weekend in these circuits and since it has been sold at low prices, it may just manage to break even. Still, it is early days and just like AA DEKHEN ZARA, the week days collections of EK - THE POWER OF ONE would have to be closely monitored before a verdict is passed.
As for VIDESH - HEAVEN ON EARTH, the film took a disastrous opening with such a low turnout that number of people in the auditorium could be counted on the finger tips. With less than 10% opening on Friday, this Preity Zinta starrer has been completely rejected by the audience. Terrible reviews and poor word of mouth has further ensured that this Deepa Mehta directed film will fail in ‘apna desh’ as well as ‘videsh’. A pseudo intellectual movie with some weird direction and even weirder myths (surrounding a cobra), VIDESH is a lost opportunity for Preity Zinta who came up with a good act but all in vain.
With last three releases of the month hardly managing to make much noise at theaters, one looks forward to a better weekend ahead with Akshay Kumar starrer 8X10 TASVEER being next in the pipeline.
- Bollywood struggles to smiles as Quarter One comes to an end - Mar 24, 2009
- 'We Are Family' sees a decent opening weekend - Sep 07, 2010
- New Releases Fail To Create Impression At The Box Office - Oct 28, 2010
- Aa Dekhen Zara experiment fails miserably - Jun 23, 2009
- 'Do Dooni Chaar' Receives Huge Appreciation, Continues To Enthrall Audience - Oct 12, 2010
- 'Aa Dekhen Zara' set to re-release in multiplexes - Jun 11, 2009
- Salman not returning any favours: Preity - Sep 07, 2012
- 'Dum Maaro Dum' mints Rs.6.2 crore on opening day - Apr 23, 2011
- "Multiplexes have cheated us" - Neil Nitin Mukesh - Mar 30, 2009
- Rohit Shetty strikes hat-trick with 'Golmaal 3' this Diwali - Nov 09, 2010
- 'Cocktail' clicks with youngsters, gets about 90 percent opening - Jul 13, 2012
- 'Ek Tha Tiger' will sustain on content: Kabir Khan - Aug 09, 2012
- 'The Dirty Picture' not one day wonder, cash registers ringing - Dec 04, 2011
- 'Ek Tha Tiger' expected to break more records - Aug 17, 2012
- Box office savours sweetness of Anurag Basu's 'Barfi!' - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: aa, bipasha basu, bobby deol, bollywood, fate, footfall, footfalls, heaven on earth, joginder, movie release, multiplexes, nana patekar, nitin mukesh, second thoughts, spirits, supernatural thriller, target audiences, three films, word of mouth, zara