‘A Whiter Shade of Pale’ is UK’s Most Heard SongApril 14th, 2009 - 2:11 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 14 (ANI): Procol Harum’s 1967 classic ‘A Whiter Shade of Pale’ has been named Britain’s most-heard song in public places over the last 75 years.
Queen’s ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ was second, while The Everly Brothers’ ‘All I Have To Do Is Dream’ came third in a chart released by Phonographic Performance Limited, which licenses recorded music for broadcast or public performance, to mark its 75th anniversary.
Wet Wet Wet’s version of ‘Love Is All Around’ was at number four and Bryan Adams’ ‘(Everything I Do) I Do It For You’ rounded off the top five.
Procol Harum frontman Gary Brooker said topping the chart was a ‘great and unsought honour’.
“It isn’t something I could have remotely imagined when I wrote the song and then made that legendary recording with Procol Harum all those years ago,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“Every musician and singer hopes to reach out and communicate to the audience, so it means a great deal that the record has such an indefinable popularity and lasting appeal,” he added.
The top ten are:
1. Procol Harum A Whiter Shade Of Pale
2. Queen Bohemian Rhapsody
3. Everly Brothers All I Have To Do Is Dream
4. Wet Wet Wet Love Is All Around
5. Bryan Adams (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
6. Robbie Williams Angels
7. Elvis Presley All Shook Up
8. Abba Dancing Queen
9. Perry Como Magic Moments
10.Bing Crosby White Christmas (ANI)
- 'Grease' duet 'You're The One That I Want' tops UK film song chart - Apr 25, 2011
- 'Bohemian Rhapsody' voted greatest lighter in air song - Sep 08, 2010
- Lea Michele wants more tattoos - Aug 21, 2011
- Queen's Brian May backs anti-Donald Trump campaigners - Jan 30, 2011
- Sacha Baron Cohen To Play Rock Legend Freddie Mercury In Upcoming Biopic - Sep 19, 2010
- REM's 'The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite' lyrics 'most misheard' - Sep 22, 2010
- Bryan Adams to enthrall Indian fans in February - Nov 17, 2010
- Google and others remember Freddy Mercury - Sep 05, 2011
- Susan Boyle's debut album is world's best-selling record - May 03, 2010
- Eminem, Elton John's bizarre pairing tops surprising duets list - Aug 27, 2010
- Bryan Adams concert tickets selling like hot cakes - Feb 09, 2011
- Shiamak Davar to perform opening acts for Bryan Adams India tour - Feb 05, 2011
- Sacha Baron Cohen set to play Freddie Mercury in upcoming film - Sep 17, 2010
- Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury - Sep 20, 2010
- New date, venue for Bryan Adams' Delhi concert (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: 75th anniversary, abba, abba dancing queen, all those years ago, april 14, bing crosby, bing crosby white christmas, bryan adams, elvis presley, everly brothers, gary brooker, magic moments, perry como, procol harum, public performance, queen bohemian rhapsody, robbie williams, robbie williams angels, wet wet wet, whiter shade