A Timeless Saga of Love On ImagineJune 16th, 2009 - 1:41 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Imagine brings to life one of the country’s most loved classics - the story of the legendry princess Meerabai, who renounced the luxuries of royal life and became the greatest devotee of Lord Krishna. This celestial epic is being recreated for television by Sagar Pictures for NDTV Imagine.
Meera is the story of a young Rajput princess whose love and devotion to Lord Krishna made her give up everything and thus elevated her to the status of a saint. Legend has it that when young Meera was just four years of age, she found herself to be deeply drawn towards Lord Krishna. As she grew older, her desire to be with her Lord grew more intense and she resolved to be committed to him forever. Despite being forced into marriage with another man (Prince Bhoj Raj), she defied the social norms and continued to worship Lord Krishna as her lover. She went on to compose many devotional songs in praise of Lord Krishna which are sung to this day with great reverence across the country. These bhajans have been regarded by scholars to be of very high literary value.
Much has been written about Meera’s life as a “jogan’ however the show will explore her life from her childhood days and the influences and events that led her to become Meerabai the “jogan’. It will provide audiences with an insight into the life of this strong woman, who remains an inspiration to women even today.
The characters in Meera will be essayed by a new generation of actors – Aashika Bhatia all of 9 years will be seen playing the lead of young Meera, the key characters of Veer Kunwari (Meera’s mother) will be played by Gauri Harmit Kaur and Ratan Singh (Meera’s dad) will be played by Kunal Bakshi respectively. Paras Arora will be seen playing Meera’s cousin brother while Twara Desai will be seen playing Meera’s friend Lalita.
Announcing the launch of this tale of devotion, Shailja Kejriwal, EVP- Content, NDTV Imagine said, “It is one of the most passionate yet pure love stories of our culture. Meerabai’s music and poetry adds another dimension to this fascinating tale. Our version of this timeless classic has been interpreted to cater to the taste of today’s audience and we aim to tell her story in a persuasive, entertaining manner. It is truly a story that has been waiting to be told! ”
Commenting on the show Moti Sagar, Sagar Pictures said, “Much legend has been gathered around the name of Meera and we are really happy to be able to present her story to Indian audiences through this show. The story of Meera is a classic example of love so pure that it goes beyond all artificial boundaries that human beings create. The show will project Meera’s life right since childhood within a setting of authentic detailing and classic costumes.”
Catch the saga of Meera coming soon only on NDTV Imagine. -Sampurn Media
- Meera dressed up in the best of clothes and jewellery - Jul 28, 2009
- Jodha Akbar style sets built for Meera - Jul 28, 2009
- Lord Krishna's untold story now on small screen - Jun 27, 2011
- Emerging as 'kathakar' for first time publicly: Sonal Mansingh - Feb 21, 2011
- 'Meera' dance-drama to be enacted in England - Mar 06, 2011
- Radha gets official seal in Delhi's Krishna ballet (With Image) - Aug 18, 2011
- Rucha Gujarathi to enter 'Beend Banunga Ghodi...' - Sep 02, 2011
- Untold stories, rare pictures in Dilip Kumar's new biography - Jun 27, 2012
- Gagan Malik, Neha Sargam to play Ram, Sita in 'Ramayan' (With Images) - Aug 23, 2012
- New flick about the royal family in the pipeline - Feb 20, 2011
- 'Vismaya Pranaya' makes you want to walk out midway (Kannada Film Review) - Jan 01, 2011
- 'Sagar' - a good timepass! (Kannada Movie Review) - Aug 11, 2012
- Smriti Irani lends voice for radio drama on Krishna - Aug 18, 2012
- Parents who ditch fairytales 'miss chance to teach kids morality' - Mar 14, 2011
- Thanks to weak script, 'Anna Bond' boring (Kannada Movie Review) - May 04, 2012
Tags: bakshi, bhajans, bhatia, bhoj, childhood days, cousin brother, cultu, desai, devotional songs, jogan, legendry, lord krishna, love stories, meerabai, ndtv, ratan singh, saint legend, social norms, strong woman, timeless saga