A smashed guitar sold for $100,000December 26th, 2008 - 9:22 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Kurt Cobain’s smashed guitar has been sold to an unidentified private collector for $100,000.
A broker in England , Helen Hall said that it’s the second-highest known price for an item of Cobain memorabilia. The seller was punk rocker Sluggo of The Grannies and Hullabaloo.
The sale of the guitar was confirmed by Jacob McMurray, the senior curator at the Experience Music Project in Seattle, where the taped-up Fender Mustang guitar in sunburst finish was displayed for a time.
‘It’s a really cool-looking guitar because it’s smashed and held together with duct tape and Kurt Cobain wrote on it,’ McMurray said.
Sluggo said he traded a working guitar for the smashed one during the first US tour of Cobain’s band, Nirvana.
McMurray said Nirvana, living hand-to-mouth, was on a tour in New Jersey when Cobain smashed the guitar on stage and went looking for one to play at his next gig.
The swap was made while Cobain was staying at the apartment of Sluggo, who goes only by that name, and Sluggo’s girlfriend, McMurray said.
He said he hoped the buyer would allow the instrument to return to Seattle for a Cobain exhibit he is preparing for 2010.
‘There’s not a huge amount of broken Nirvana guitars out there,’ McMurray said, adding that most amount to ‘little slivers and fragments’.
A news release from Hall said the highest price paid for a piece of Cobain memorabilia was $131,000 at a 2006 auction for his Mosrite Gospel Mark IV guitar.
- Kurt Cobain's smashed guitar sold for $100,000 - Dec 25, 2008
- Kurt Cobains smashed guitar fetches PS68,493 at auction - Dec 25, 2008
- Kurt Cobain's broken guitar sells for $100,000 - Dec 24, 2008
- Nirvana exhibit to open in Seattle - Oct 18, 2010
- Kurt Cobain honoured in hometown with 13-foot statue of guitar - Apr 06, 2011
- Macca's memorabilia to go under the hammer - Oct 08, 2010
- Courtney Love settles Nirvana lawsuit - Aug 18, 2010
- Kurt Cobain's bass guitar auctioned for 29,166 pounds - Jun 25, 2009
- Miley Cyrus is inspired by Nirvana - May 03, 2011
- Hollyoaks' Gary Lucy to star as Kurt Cobain in new play - Mar 20, 2010
- Love dreams of marrying rich man - Oct 17, 2011
- Jon Stewart all set to interview Nirvana's surviving members - Aug 26, 2011
- Courtney Love may sue over Kurt Cobain videogame - Sep 10, 2009
- Robert Pattinson to play Kurt Cobain in a new biopic - Apr 10, 2010
- Courtney Love wants Ryan Gosling or James McAvoy for Kurt Cobain role - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: band nirvana, curator, duct tape, experience music project, fender mustang guitar, fragments, grannies, hand to mouth, helen hall, hullabaloo, kurt cobain, living hand to mouth, mosrite gospel mark iv, news release, private collector, punk rocker, slivers, sluggo, smashed guitar, sunburst finish