A-lister or newcomer: the item song debateAugust 6th, 2011 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 6 (IANS) Should one get an A-lister or try a new actress - that is the sizzling debate brewing between producer Sajid Nadiadwala and director Sajid Khan over a pending item song in “Housefull 2″.
The actress for the big-budget under-production film will first have to go through close scrutiny by both the Sajids.
While Khan favours the tried-and-tested formula of getting an A-lister actress on board, Nadiadwala feels the item song by a hot-and-happening actress has truly been done to death and to keep audiences’ interests alive in the cult of the item song, the phenomenon of the surprise dance must really and radically be re-invented.
“Really, after Munni and Sheila and all the others there’s not much that can be done with an item song with just a big-name actress dancing to it,” Nadiadwala argues and favours a new stunner to perform the item song in “Housefull 2″. Or else, the enterprising producer who has set aside a budget of Rs.95 crore for “Housefull 2″ wants two A-listers for the item song.
However, Khan apparently feels that Jacqueline Fernandez who was a virtual unknown when she performed the item song to the remixed version of the Bachchan chartbuster “Apni to jaise taise” in “Housefull” proves that an item song by a solo performer is very much a commercially viable proposition. The number was to be originally performed by Sushmita Sen.
After the copyright-related harassment that Nadiadwala faced after using the old hit “Apni to jaise taise”, he wants to record a completely new item song for “Housefull 2″.
Says Nadiadwala, “Creating a new excitement in the item song has become very difficult. All the top actresses have been seen in item songs. What do we do?”
Khan was more guarded in his response, “It’s early to say anything about it. We’re shooting it after three months.”
- Teaching dance steps to three pairs is a challenge: Farah - Jul 12, 2011
- Bahu Aishwarya Rai to dance on Amitabh Bachchan's song! - Jan 30, 2010
- Ash unsure about 'Laawaris' number in 'Houseful' - Feb 02, 2010
- 'Nadiadwala didn't indulge in unethical business practice' - May 24, 2010
- Jacqueline Fernandez grooves to the classic "Apni Toh Jaise Taise" - Apr 09, 2010
- Return of the retro: Bollywood beats to remixed classics - Apr 14, 2011
- 'Anarkali disco chali' puts pressure on Malaika, Farah - Feb 13, 2012
- Bad start for Housefull - May 01, 2010
- Experience magic of 1980s with 'Housefull' music (IANS Music Review) - Mar 27, 2010
- 'Housefull 2' packed with dirty dozen, laughter (IANS Preview) - Apr 02, 2012
- Now a film based on Osho's ideology (Movie Snippets) - Mar 26, 2012
- Top 10 Bollywood songs (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 23, 2010
- Saregama strongly defends license deal on "Apni to Jaise Taise" and Sajid Nadiadwala - May 24, 2010
- Me, Nadiadwala don't make films for money: Sajid Khan - Mar 19, 2012
- Sajid Khan hits hattrick with 'Housefull 2' - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: actress, apni, crore, harassment, housefull, jacqueline fernandez, lister, listers, munni, newcomer, production film, remixed version, sajid khan, scrutiny, sheila, solo performer, stunner, sushmita sen, taise, viable proposition