A Bollywood first - film about Hitler and Nazi GermanyJune 8th, 2010 - 10:54 am ICT by IANS
By Dibyojyoti Baksi
Mumbai, June 8 (IANS) Indian history has been revised time and again on celluloid, but debutant director Rakesh Ranjan Kumar moves into a global canvas with “Dear Friend Hitler” to capture the last few days of the Nazi dictator in his Berlin bunker and Germany after his downfall in 1945.
“My film aims to recapture the last days of Adolf Hitler,” Rakesh, who is perhaps the first Indian filmmaker to attempt a movie on Hitler, told IANS in an exclusive interview.
“It shows Hitler in his underground bunker and portrays his relationship with his close associates. It aims to capture the personality of Adolf Hitler and his insecurities, his charisma and his paranoia during the last few days of his life,” he added.
World War II and Hitler have been subjects of enduring fascination through the decades with films like “Hitler: The Last Ten Days ” (1973), “Downfall” (2004) and the Tom Cruise- starrer “Valkyrie” (2008). But this will be a first for Indian cinema.
Rakesh has roped in the versatile Anupam Kher to play the lead role; Neha Dhupia will portray his wife Eva Braun who was 23 years younger to him.
Rakesh maintains that the film also shows how Hitler contributed to India’s independence and what happened to soldiers in Subhas Chandra Bose’s Azad Hind Legion in Germany.
“It shows Hitler’s love for India and how he indirectly contributed to Indian independence. It also depicts the struggle for survival of the lesser known Indian Legion soldiers who were left in Germany by Subhas Bose to fight for India’s independence and Germany’s prestige,” said Rakesh.
Though volumes have been written about the dictator, very little information is available about his wife Eva who was a model before she met him. “Dear Friend Hitler” focuses on that too.
“The film will not show the love life of Adolf Hitler. It will show Eva who had been rarely spoken about in the history. Eva had been Hitler’s girlfriend since she was 17 years old. The film shows how she comes in his life in his last days. They got married 42 hours before he died (April 30, 1845).”
Though the backdrop is World War II, Rakesh insists his is not a war movie.
“By the title, people might take it as a periodic or war film, but we have portrayed neither. Rather it’s a war of conscience going on in the mind of Hitler,” he said.
The film is expected to go on the floors next month.
(Dibyojyoti Baksi can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A Bollywood first - film about Hitler and Nazi Germany (Lead) - Jun 08, 2010
- Bollywood's Hitler biopic with Indian twist - Jun 09, 2010
- Berlin cleared misconceptions about 'My Friend Hitler': Scriptwriter - Mar 05, 2011
- Film on Hitler to hit screens July 29 (With Images) - Jul 02, 2011
- Anupam Kher is Bollywood's Hitler - Jun 14, 2010
- Anupam Kher walks out of 'Dear Friend Hitler' - Jun 18, 2010
- Anupam Kher quits 'Dear Friend Hitler' (Lead) - Jun 18, 2010
- Eva Braun's pictures helped Ruchi Pugalia design Neha's clothes - Jul 26, 2011
- Ear-shattering vuvuzelas are even driving Hitler nuts - Jun 17, 2010
- Osama, Hitler themes - taking the road less travelled in Bollywood - Jun 22, 2010
- I support Anupam turning down Hitler's role: Kirron Kher - Jun 23, 2010
- Hitler's last surviving bodyguard stops replying to fan mail - Jan 28, 2011
- History Revisited - Jun 07, 2010
- Anupam Kher Quits Hitler After Protests - Jun 18, 2010
- Churchill named Britain's greatest gentleman of last century - Dec 10, 2011
Tags: adolf hitler, anupam kher, baksi, berlin bunker, close associates, eva braun, hitler and nazi germany, indian cinema, indian filmmaker, indian history, indian independence, insecurities, life of adolf hitler, nazi dictator, neha dhupia, subhas chandra bose, tom cruise, underground bunker, wife eva, world war ii