99 is summer 2009’s biggest hit grossing 17.07 crore in 21 daysJune 13th, 2009 - 4:28 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
After a fantastic three week gross box office amounting to 17.07 Cr, 99 continues to hold strong in its fourth week, playing in 225 screens worldwide, despite the fact that five new films released last Friday.
Made on a production budget of 8 crores, the film released on May 15, with 4 star reviews. Fantastic audience reactions and strong word-of-mouth helped to sustain collections right through the third week of its release.
Commenting on the films performance producers Anupam Mittal & Aditya Shastri say, “The film has exceeded our expectations and we’re pleased with the results. The film is in its fourth week and still going very strong.’
Despite over 5 films opening this weekend, 99 is still the box office champ this week too, giving it a record for being the number 1 film at the Indian box-office 4 weeks in a row!! Playing in 225 screens in week 4, the film has had a startlingly low drop week on week, and has surprised even the filmmakers.
The film grossed 7.6 crores from 430 screens, 5.3 crores from 358 screens and 4.2 crores from 252 screens worldwide in its first three weeks respectively. The Net Box Office was 5.4 crores for Week 1, 3.8 crores for Week 2, and 2.98 crores for Week 3, bringing the total Net Box Office for 3 weeks to 12.17 crores.
99 is a story inspired by real events in 1999 and 2000. It is as much “what could have been” as it is “what really happened.” In other words, it is historical ﬁction. It spans a few genres, it is slick, fast-paced, realistic and, importantly, very funny.
The movie is an unpredictable and hilarious ride spread over two cities with colourful characters, unbelievable circumstances, small-time crooks, big-time conspiracies, fateful car crashes, loads of coffee, a briefcase full of money, a budding romance…
…and a historical controversy brewing in the background! -Sampurn Media
- 'Eega' - fly's revenge drama rocks box office - Jul 12, 2012
- 'Zindagi Na Milegi...' earns Rs.108 crore in 10 days - Jul 27, 2011
- 'Singham' earns net Rs.9.1 crore on opening day - Jul 23, 2011
- Ishqiya scores high on box-office - Feb 04, 2010
- Golmaal 3 Grosses Rs. 70 Crores In Opening Weekend - Nov 10, 2010
- Superhero 'RA.One' flying high with Rs.170 crore collection - Oct 31, 2011
- Sharman's 'Ferrari Ki Sawari' makes profit - Jun 18, 2012
- AVATAR still ruling the Box Office! - Dec 28, 2009
- 'Rockstar' earns Rs 64 crore, Shabana terms it a new beginning - Nov 14, 2011
- 'The Dirty Picture' not one day wonder, cash registers ringing - Dec 04, 2011
- Movie goers' thumbs up to 'Titanic 3D', earns Rs.6.1 crore - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Delhi Belly' minting money - Jul 03, 2011
- Golmaal 3 Off To A Flying Start! - Nov 10, 2010
- Bollywood se Hollywood Tak: Kambakkht Hit - Jul 06, 2009
- Bollywood went from gloom to glory, singing 'Ooh la la' (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: anupam mittal, audience reactions, big time, briefcase, car crashes, colourful characters, conspiracies, controversy brewing, crore, filmmakers, gross box office, last friday, new films, number 1, production budget, small time crooks, strong word, unbelievable circumstances, week 1, word of mouth