99 - Another surprise success of 2009May 29th, 2009 - 11:32 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Joginder Tuteja
Salman Khan may be looking at striking at the small screen again with DUS KA DUM but Kunal Khemu and Co. have already done that, and that too on the big screen, with the rock steady collections of their recently release film ‘99′. This comic thriller has now grossed 10.27 crores in a matter of just 10 days.
Confirms an official from the film’s production house PEOPLE PICTURES, “The film is doing exceedingly well at theaters all over. Even though it took a slow start at the box office on it’s opening Friday, it has seen great acceptance coming from audience. After grossing 7.24 crores in 426 screens at the box office in the opening week, ‘99′ has steadied itself quite well in it’s second week with 3.03 crores more coming in only 297 screens. That’s indeed great going.”
In it’s opening week, the film earned close to 1 crore from Mumbai and 50 lakhs from Delhi. The collections are expected to remain steady once the second week comes to a close.
The film was released when IPL was at it’s peak but still went on to hold itself well at the box office primarily due to some excellent narrative by it’s director duo of Raj Nidimoru and Krishna DK. Result? There was some fabulous word of mouth from the audience that ensured that the film grew from strength to strength and started showing an increase in collections.
Says Krishna D.K., “Post the IPL and the fantastic word of mouth received on the film, the collections have picked up. We are very positive that third weekend of 29th May will also generate great sales.”
The producers of ‘99′, Anupam Mittal and Aditya Shastri, have further reason to rejoice since KAL KISSNE DEKHA (which was earlier slated for a 29th May release) has been moved ahead to later date (exact date yet to be confirmed) which means that there is an open field ahead for their Kunal Khemmu and Boman Irani starrer. The film could have faced some challenge from KAL KISSNE DEKHA had it arrived as per it’s earlier plans but now since there is not a single movie slated for release for an indefinite time period, audiences have no choice but to watch ‘99′.
Now all that is required is good promotion from the makers of ‘99′ which could well make it one of the only successes that Bollywood has seen in 2009 so far.
“The producers have upped the promotions with the promotion budget too going up”, says Krishna D.K., “I can see that the film is now hitting all the right spots. This was always the kind of film that would have grown with word of mouth and audience appreciation. So far the response has been completely as per the script.”
- 99 hangs on, grosses over 7 crores - May 25, 2009
- 'Delhi Belly' minting money - Jul 03, 2011
- 'Don 2' rings in over Rs.48 crore on opening weekend - Dec 26, 2011
- KKD, ZLKH add on to long list of 2009 flops - Jun 18, 2009
- Hugely promoted 'Kal Kissne Dekha' gets dull opening - Jun 15, 2009
- 500 screens release for Kal Kissne Dekha worldwide - Jun 11, 2009
- Vidya's 'Kahaani' enters third week, still going strong - Mar 24, 2012
- Vidya's 'Kahaani' declared a hit - Mar 11, 2012
- Sharman's 'Ferrari Ki Sawari' makes profit - Jun 18, 2012
- 'Paan Singh Tomar' set for Gulf release on popular demand - Mar 12, 2012
- Comparison with Salman makes Jackky happy - Aug 30, 2012
- Overseas market next halt for 'Shor In The City': Director - May 01, 2011
- 'Zindagi Na Milegi...' earns Rs.108 crore in 10 days - Jul 27, 2011
- Bollywood bids for larger screen space - Nov 12, 2011
- 'X-Men' packs a punch in opening week, earns Rs.14.5 crore - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: 1 crore, aditya, anupam mittal, boman irani, comic thriller, crores, ipl, joginder, krishna, kunal khemmu, kunal khemu, lakhs, mumbai, raj, release film, salman khan, shastri, strength to strength, surprise success, word of mouth