7,600 couples marry at Andhra Pradeshs famous Tirumala templeNovember 4th, 2008 - 8:46 pm ICT by ANI
Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh), Nov.4 (ANI): About 7,600 couples tied the nuptial knot at the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam Board of the famed Sri Venkateshwara Temple under the Kalyanamasthu programme.
The Sri Venkateswara Temple, is popularly known as the Balaji Temple, and is one of the most frequented pilgrim centres by Hindus.
Of the 7600 weddings, 69 tied the nuptial knot at Tirupati.
“All the married couple have been blessed by the Lord and we are also arranging a cellar Darshan for them,” said A.V. Dharma Reddy, a Special Officer attached with the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam.
It was a cherished dream come true for the young couples since they could not afford the marriage expenses.
Bridegrooms and brides stood in a row opposite each other and exchanged garlands to be declared married. The general mood was one of fun and gaiety.
“I am very happy. Lord Venkateshwara has given us this opportunity. Lots of people are coming and they are also enjoying. It’’s like a festival,” said Naageswara Rao, newly wedded bridegroom.
One of the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam gifted the newly wed couples, rupees 7,000 in cash, a golden Mangalasutra (the wedding chain) and also arranged for tickets to visit the temple.
This was the fourth edition of the Kalyanamasthu programme, a mass marriage ceremony, organised by the TTD, the governing authority of the Tirupati Temple for the welfare of the poor people.
TTD has been organizing on such mass marriage ceremonies frequently.
The marriages were conducted at a pre-decided auspicious time, which was between 10.55 and 11.10 a.m on Sunday (November 2). (ANI)
- 70 couples tie nuptial knot at mass marriage ceremony in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 15, 2010
- TTD to conduct mass marriages in US - Apr 04, 2012
- Mass marriages in Andhra; 12,000 enter into wedlock - May 20, 2011
- President offers prayers at Tirupati - Jul 07, 2011
- Sri Lankan president prays at Tirupati temple for team's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- Act sought against Jagan for flouting temple rules - May 03, 2012
- Tirupati temple to decide on Janardhana Reddy's offering - Sep 09, 2011
- Action sought against Jagan over Tirupati row, YSR party hits back (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- President Mukherjee's first official visit to Chennai, Tiruputi - Sep 07, 2012
- Tirumala temple shut for lunar eclipse - Jun 16, 2011
- 10 arrested near Tirumala temple - Jul 08, 2011
- 400 couples wed on 11.11.11 in Kuala Lumpur temple - Nov 11, 2011
- Tirupati temple deposits 1,175 kg gold with SBI - Feb 11, 2011
- Panel moots upping security for Tirupati jewels - Jun 18, 2010
- Manmohan Singh offers prayers at Tirupati temple - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: auspicious time, balaji temple, bridegroom, bridegrooms, darshan, gaiety, governing authority, hindus, lord venkateshwara, marriage ceremonies, marriage ceremony, nuptial knot, pilgrim centres, rupees, sri venkateshwara temple, sri venkateswara temple, tirumala tirupati, tirupati temple, ttd, young couples