Marathi film ‘Valu’ to open Germany’s only fest of Indian cinemaJuly 11th, 2008 - 11:48 am ICT by IANS
By Mehru Jaffer
Stuttgart, July 11 (IANS) Bollywood and Beyond, Germany’s only festival of Indian cinema, will kickstart July 16 with the Marathi film “Valu - The Wild Bull”, a rib tickling film about a free spirited bull. The tickets for “Valu”, director Umesh Vinayak Kulkarni’s first film, on the opening night are sold out and a second show is already announced.
“I am very curious to see how the audience reacts to ‘Valu’. The notion of India as seen through Bollywood films is well known, but my film deals with issues like shit pit, coconut breaking and a cow giving birth,” Kulkarni told IANS in an e-mail interview.
An alumnus of Pune’s Film and Television Institute of India, Kulkarni has been making the rounds of several international festivals since the start of the year and will accompany “Valu”, his debut feature film, to Stuttgart.
Wiebke A.C. Reiss, the festival’s programme director, said: “I chose ‘Valu’ to open the festival because I fell in love with the wild bull. In fact, I am in love with all the characters in the film and with the village.
Reiss added that “Valu” also defies the clich
- Movie Preview: The Well (Vihir) - Sep 24, 2010
- 'Vihir' wins Bollywood festival in Germany - Jul 25, 2010
- Who is Girish Kulkarni? - Mar 12, 2012
- 'Deool', 'Byari' named best feature films at 59th National Awards - Mar 07, 2012
- ABCL's first Marathi film screened at Mumbai film fest - Nov 03, 2009
- 'Marathi viewers disenchanted by Bollywood' - Nov 25, 2010
- Malayalam film wins audience award at German festival - Jul 21, 2008
- Indian film festival opens in Germany - Jul 17, 2008
- Indian films at Locarno fest rise above song and dance - Aug 08, 2011
- IFFI bigger, richer this year: Organisers - Nov 21, 2010
- 'Servus Ishq' - Indo-Austrian director's tribute to Bollywood - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Iti Mrinalini' not biography of my mother: Konkona Sen (Interview) - Dec 06, 2010
- Khatta Meetha Track "Bull Shit" Hits Out At Corrupt Politicians - Jun 24, 2010
- Bollywood ga-ga over Abhishek's comedy in 'Bol Bachchan' - Jul 06, 2012
- Shah Rukh offers to strip at IFFI opener - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: berlin film festival, bollywood films, debut feature film, debut film, film deals, indian cinema, indian film industry, international festivals, mail interview, mehru jaffer, rotterdam film festival, sense of humour, short films, television institute, thoda, umesh, valu, vinayak, wallah, wiebke