70-year-old run over by Arbaaz Khan’s car (Second Lead)July 2nd, 2012 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 2 (IANS) A 70-year-old woman was killed when she was knocked down by a Land Cruiser owned by Bollywood actor-filmmaker Arbaaz Khan, police here said Monday.
The incident occurred around 11 p.m. Sunday near St. Andrew’s Church when the vehicle was headed towards the home of the Khans at Bandstand.
The woman has been identified as Chandra Bala, police said. She was rushed to the Bhabha Hospital by a police constable and some autorickshaw drivers in the vicinity but died from her injuries.
The car was being driven by Dhananjay Pimpale. A top police official supervising the investigation said Pimpale came and reported the accident case to the police station shortly afterwards.
“We have recorded his statement and also the statements of two eyewitnesses who were present at the scene of the accident. We shall record the statements of the vehicle owner (Arbaaz Khan) and Sohail Khan (who has been using the vehicle),” the official told media-persons.
He confirmed that nobody else was present in the vehicle and also the fact that Pimpale was not intoxicated at the time of the accident.
“However, we shall send his blood samples for analysis to further confirm this,” the official added.
Pimpale was later presented before a magistrate here Monday afternoon.
After a brief hearing, Pimpale was remanded in police custody till July 9, but soon afterwards, he applied for and secured a bail on an amlount of Rs.10,000, his lawyer Zameer Khan told media persons.
Meanwhile, Salim Khan - the father of Arbaaz, Bollywood superstar Salman Khan and filmmaker Sohail Khan - has expressed regret over the death of the destitute woman.
“It was most unfortunate. The woman suddenly came in front of the vehicle and fell. The driver immediately applied the brakes and reported the matter to the police,” Salim Khan told IANS.
He claimed that the woman, apparently frail, was not “crushed” as claimed in some quarters, but fell near the vehicle.
Salim Khan castigated the media and said that instead of finding out the whereabouts of the poor woman and her family or survivors, the focus was more on his celebrity family — whether they were inside the vehicle and who owned the vehicle.
He added that the vehicle belonged to Arbaaz but was being used temporarily by Sohail. No family member was present in the vehicle at the time of the accident, he said.
- 70-year-old run over by Arbaaz Khan's car (Third Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- 70-year-old run over by Arbaaz Khan's car (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- 70-year-old run over by Arbaaz Khan's car - Jul 02, 2012
- We are not paying compensation to victim's family: Salman - Jul 02, 2012
- Star kids have an edge over others: Arbaaz Khan - Jul 17, 2012
- Sohail praises hardworking Rakhi Sawant - Apr 04, 2012
- First draft of 'Dabangg 2' ready: Arbaaz Khan - Sep 23, 2011
- Husband, wife arrested for murder - Jun 22, 2011
- Filmmakers queue for Salman, but Sohail gets priority - Jun 09, 2012
- The Khans' Big Dabangg Bash Being Planned On A War Footing - Sep 18, 2010
- Sohail Khan to make television debut - Jul 16, 2011
- Salim Khan turns script doctor for 'Sher Khan' - Jun 17, 2012
- Rs.9 lakh relief for kin of woman killed in accident - May 31, 2011
- 'Lootera' shaping up as memorable film: Ranveer (Movie Snippets) - Jun 26, 2012
- Prakash Raj main villain of 'Dabangg 2': Arbaaz - Oct 25, 2011
Tags: accident case, arbaaz khan, bandstand, blood samples, chandra, dhananjay, eyewitnesses, khans, land cruiser, magistrate, media persons, police constable, police custody, police official, salim khan, salman khan, sohail khan, st andrew, vehicle owner, zameer