50 cents Vitaminwater caught up in lawsuitFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 2:15 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 3 (ANI): Beverage firm Vitaminwater, which sells rapper 50 cents Formula 50 drink, has been slapped with a lawsuit for misleading consumers about the nutritional content of its products.
The In Da Club hitmaker is also a shareholder in the firm.
The Coca-Cola-owned brand has been sued by The Centre for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) for deliberately misinforming customers about the benefits of the drink.
According to the lawsuit, “buzzwords” like “defence”, “rescue” and “energy” were used to market the health-conscious product when it really should have warned about the “sugar” levels in the drink.
“It is really shocking that a company like Coca-Cola feels the need to market a soft drink as a vitamin pill to hide the fact it is really sugar water,” Contactmusic quoted CPSI spokesman Steven Gardner as saying.
However, the Coca-Cola bosses have denied the claims, dismissing the suit as a publicity stunt. (ANI)
- Coca Cola embroiled in 'dangerously misleading' water ad controversy - Feb 05, 2011
- Coke's 'health' drink 'too sweet to be nutritious' - Jan 19, 2011
- Coca-Cola eyes Olympic market in Russia - Sep 26, 2011
- Coca Cola plans to invest $5 billion in India by 2020 (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Cola food colouring could cause cancer - Feb 17, 2011
- Coca-Cola sales rise 20 percent in India - Jul 17, 2012
- Coke has no alcohol in it, says manufacturer - Feb 17, 2011
- Coca-Cola launches Minute Maid juice range - Mar 28, 2011
- Coke to pull out of Mexican schools to promote anti-obesity drive - Jun 11, 2010
- Call to ban 'cancer-causing' caramel colouring used in Coke, Pepsi - Feb 17, 2011
- Coca-Cola, Jain Irrigation to showcase modern mango farming in Andhra - Jul 24, 2012
- Beverage makers set for summer war in $10 bn market - Apr 09, 2012
- Coca-Cola reassures product safety in China - May 01, 2012
- Mexican bottler to build $140 mn plant in Brazil - Dec 07, 2011
- Coca-Cola re-enters Myanmar after six decades - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: 50 cents, buzzwords, coca cola, conscious product, cspi, da club, hitmaker, misleading consumers, nutritional content, public interest, publicity stunt, science, shareholder, soft drink, spokesman, steven gardner, sugar levels, sugar water, vitamin pill, vitaminwater