3 Kishore Kumar Bio-pics On The WayApril 18th, 2009 - 11:50 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Subhash K Jha
Even as Shoojit Sircar’s film on the life songs and art of Kishore Kumar written by Rensil d’Silva is put on hold, two other filmmakers have come forward to claim a part of Kishore’s life.
Avant-garde director Sudhir Mishra is ready to make a Kishore Kumar epic. “My favourite filmmaker, and one of the primary influences on my life and career is Guru Dutt. However a film on his life seems difficult if not impossible. Guru Dutt has already borrowed chapters of his own life in Pyasa and Kagaz Ke Phool. Making a Kishore Kumar bio-pic would be a dream come true. No one knows the real Kishore.”
Sudhir’s problem is whom to cast as Kishore Kumar.
Nagesh Kukunor has an answer to this . He wants to cast his favourite actor Shreyas Talpade as Kishore Kumar, for two reasons. Firstly Nagesh feels a Kishore Kumar bio-pic cannot be attempted with a star who has a strong image and secondly, Shreyas is a huge Kishore Kumar fan himself.
Nagesh thrives on Kishore Kumar songs and claims to know the obscurest of Kihore’s songs.
“And if it’s a duet I only know the male portion by heart,” chuckles Nagesh.
Nagesh wants to focus primarily on the music and songs of Kishore Kumar.
His narrative would be propelled forward on the strength of Kishore Kumar’s songs. Nagesh is in the process of acquiring the rights of the original KK evergreens.
The filmmaker has spent hours with Kishore’s son Amit Kumar and wife Leena Chandavarkar who opened the vaults of their hearts and gave Nagesh enough anecdotes to make his bio-pic voluptuous and comprehensive.
Interestingly Kishore Kumar’s immediate family has also had meetings with Shoojit Sircar who plans his own KK bio-pic after he completes his current assignments.
So it’s hard to make out which of the two projects the Ganguly parivar truly believes in. Or which would take off first.
However Nagesh has an edge since he has already approached producers.
Some time ago Nagesh had gone to Subhash Ghai with the proposal to make the KK biopic. The Showman , enthusiastic about the idea, thought such a mammoth project required a marquee name.
Sudhir Mishra disagrees. “You can’t have an acknowledged superstar playing a personality whom generations know like a member of the household.On the other hand you can’t make a big-budget bip-pic on Kishore Kumar unless you’ve a readymade audience.So it’s a Catch 22 situation.”
One possibility that Sudhir is willing to explore is to cast Kishore Kumar’s younger son Sumit.
Provided Sumit could act.
“But then who ever thought Kishore Kumar could act, sing, dance, entertain, compose….all at the same time? His son must have inherited some of that talent,” reasons Sudhir hopefully. -Sampurn Media
- It'll be an honour to play Kishore-da: Shreyas Talpade - Aug 01, 2009
- Now three Kishore Kumar biopics on the way - Apr 18, 2009
- Ranbir deaf-mute but happy-go-lucky in 'Barfee' - Apr 13, 2011
- Kishore Kumar partly financed 'Pather Panchali': Shoojit Sircar - Dec 10, 2008
- John Abraham in an LTTE Film 'Jaffna' - Feb 28, 2012
- UTV plans a biopic on Kishore Kumar - Aug 04, 2008
- UTV to make biopic on Kishore Kumar (Lead) - Aug 04, 2008
- Bollywood more professional, but sans soul: Annu Kapoor - Apr 17, 2012
- I'm itching to act again: Nagesh Kukunoor (Interview) - Aug 22, 2010
- John turns producer with 'Vicky Donor' - Nov 09, 2011
- Success lies in making the youth happy: John Abraham - Jul 27, 2012
- Deepika, Priyadarshan bury the hatchet - Jan 12, 2012
- Ayushmann won't assist Sircar in 'Jaffna' - Aug 19, 2012
- Amit Kumar to sing for Ranbir - Apr 24, 2010
- John Abraham believes in sperm donation - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: amit kumar, bio pic, evergreens, filmmaker, filmmakers, ghai, guru dutt, immediate family, kishore kumar, kishore kumar songs, kk, kukunor, life songs, male portion, Nagesh, parivar, pyasa, Shreyas Talpade, subhash, sudhir mishra