200 movies for 10th Osian’s Asian-Arab film fest from ThursdayJuly 9th, 2008 - 11:01 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 9 (IANS) Movie-buffs are preparing for an 11-day mega celluloid treat here from Thursday, with nearly 200 films from the Asian-Arab world, along with a host of allied activities, featuring in the 10th edition of the Osian’s Cinefan Film Festival. For a country that boasts of one of the biggest entertainment industries in the world, almost on a par with Hollywood, generating more than Rs.100 billion annually, this is a festival that stands apart.
“India is a great lover of cinema and we want India to become a great cinematic culture,” Neville Tuli, founder chairman of Osian’s Connoisseurs of Art, told reporters here.
“It took 10 years to prepare only a basic platform in India so that people would come to us. Cinema of this kind should be supported,” Tuli added.
The fest, to be jointly held at the Siri Fort auditorium and the Alliance Francaise here, will for the first time also showcase 42 short fiction films handpicked by curator Monika Bhasin.
Day one of the fest will open with Johnnie To’s “Sparrows”. While the centerpiece of the event will be Wong Kar-Wai’s “My Blue Berry Nights”, “Mumbai Cutting” - an Indian anthology by 11 directors - will mark the end of the fest.
The Osian’s-Cinefan will bestow the Osian’s lifetime achievement award on eminent director Mrinal Sen and the Philippines’ versatile poet and writer Jose ‘Pete’ F. Lacaba for their distinguished contribution to cinema.
This year, Osian’s-Cinefan has announced a hike in prize money, increasing it to over Rs.10 million (approximately $250,000) for its competition sections and lifetime achievement awards.
The festival will also pay a tribute to renowned playwright Vijay Tendulkar, Nobel laureate Naquid Mahfouz, cinema personality Alain Robbe-Grillet, Taiwanese director Edward yang and Indonesian actress Chrisine Hakim.
The other highlights of the event will be Talent Campus India - a six-day workshop for aspiring filmmakers from South Asia, unveiling of the scale model of Osianama - Osian’s flagship cultural complex, and The Ten Commandments of World Cinema to mark 10 years of the annual fest.
There would also be special sessions with eminent writers and directors including Chetan Bhagat, Kunal Basu, Chitra Banerjee, Jaishree Mishra and others.
- Osian's film fest back with rare, bold films - Jul 11, 2012
- Osian's film fest begins with tribute to Rajesh Khanna - Jul 28, 2012
- India's screen divas are symbols of Indian femininity: Neville Tuli (Interview)(With Image) - Jun 15, 2012
- Osian back with second mega auction of movie art - Jul 11, 2012
- Indian, world cinema set new trends at Osian's film fest (Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- Osian's Cinefan Film Festival returns in July - Mar 24, 2012
- Aamir now owns Shammi Kapoor's jacket - Aug 01, 2012
- Two awards for 'BA Pass' at Osian's film fest - Aug 05, 2012
- Osianama to open in Delhi, not Mumbai - Jul 11, 2012
- Lack of respect for intellect, creativity pained Mani: Neville Tuli - Jul 06, 2011
- 11th Osian's-Cinefan Film Festival all set to kick of in New Delhi - Oct 15, 2009
- 10th Osian film fest has grand opening - Jul 12, 2008
- Gulzar gets lifetime award at 11th Osian's - Oct 24, 2009
- 11th Osian film fest to put spotlight on India - Oct 06, 2009
- 11th Osian film fest boasts of changes - Oct 15, 2009
Tags: alain robbe grillet, alliance francaise, arab film, aspiring filmmakers, cinematic culture, entertainment industries, fiction films, great lover, indonesian actress, lacaba, lifetime achievement award, lifetime achievement awards, mahfouz, movie buffs, nobel laureate, osian, renowned playwright, siri fort auditorium, talent campus india, wong kar wai