1989-2009 - David-Govinda journey from TAAQATWAR to DO KNOT DISTURBJune 25th, 2009 - 3:31 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Joginder Tuteja
For David Dhawan and Govinda, it is time to set records. Between 1989 and 2009, the duo worked in an astonishing 15 films together. These were Taaqatwar, Swarg, Shola Aur Shabnam, Aankhen, Raja Babu, Coolie No. 1, Saajan Chale Sasural, Hero No. 1, Deewana Mastana, Banarsi Babu, Bade Miyan Chote Miyan, Haseena Maan Jayegi, Kunwara, Jodi No. 1 and Kyonkii Main Jhuth Nahi Bolta.
With an exception of ‘Banarsi Babu’, box office outcome of each of the remaining 14 films ranged from coverage to blockbuster status.
In 2003, they reunited with ‘Ek Aur Ek Gyaarah’ but the film wasn’t any great shakes. They made history though with ‘Partner’ (2007) which turned out to be their biggest money spinner together. Now they are back in their 18th film - ‘Do Knot Disturb’ (2009).
Says David Dhawan, “Govinda and I have been a team for years now and our motive has always been to entertain people. And what better way to do that than to make them laugh. Our track record over the years pretty much demonstrates that.”
In fact this is one reunion that was pretty much being talked about once the first look of ‘Do Knot Disturb’ was unveiled at the recently concluded International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Awards 2009. Industry insiders who had a dekko at the film’s promos can’t stop raving about it.
“Believe me, the film is going to be a ‘baap of all comedies’ once it releases”, comments a trade expert, “David Dhawan and Govinda combo is at work again. They know what is required to attract the masses and with Riteish Deshmukh joining the fun, the fun element has only gone up exponentially.”
Adds David Dhawan, “‘Do Knot Disturb’ follows the same objective i.e. make people laugh and let them forget their worries. With actors like Govinda, Riteish Deshmukh, Lara Dutta, Sushmita Sen, Sohail Khan, Ranvir Sheorey and Rajpal Yadav - all of whom have a natural flair for comedy - I am sure audiences worldwide would be seen smiling once ‘Do Knot Disturb’ arrives on screen.”
Incidentally this is the first time that Riteish is working with either David or Govinda though with Vashu, the young actor has worked earlier in ‘Out Of Control’ and most recently ‘Kal Kissne Dekha’.
With music by Nadeem-Shravan, the film would be released later this year. -Sampurn Media
- Karan Johar and David Dhawan clash again after a decade - Sep 29, 2009
- BIG Pictures' next - DO KNOT DISTURB gets unveiled at IIFA 2009 - Jun 12, 2009
- David, Govinda reunite for another laugh riot - Jun 17, 2009
- FEATURE: Do Knot Disturb to Wake Up Sid - Oct 02, 2009
- When I want to make people laugh, I work with David Dhawan: Sushmita Sen - Sep 06, 2009
- Comedy is undervalued in Bollywood: David Dhawan - Oct 19, 2009
- My comedies are stress-busters for viewers: Govinda (Interview) - Sep 20, 2009
- Do Knot Disturb's Zabardast Music Launch! - Aug 26, 2009
- David Dhawan has acting dreams - and Govinda's in them! - Sep 19, 2009
- Good movie needs emotional director: David Dhawan - Jul 31, 2009
- 'Do Knot Disturb' to release across 1060 screens worldwide - Oct 01, 2009
- Govinda and Riteish Deshmukh's Congress chemistry in Do Knot Disturb - Sep 05, 2009
- Govinda is undoubtedly the King of Comedy -Ritesh Deshmukh - Oct 02, 2009
- I'm extremely fond of Lara: Riteish Deshmukh (Interview) - Sep 18, 2009
- David is No. 1 - Aug 14, 2009
Tags: baap, bolta, chote, david dhawan, deewana mastana, dekko, govinda, great shakes, industry insiders, joginder, kunwara, lara dutta, natural flair, rajpal yadav, riteish deshmukh, saajan, shabnam, sohail khan, swarg, trade expert