$1.8m raised at amfAR’s Cinema Against AIDSDecember 14th, 2008 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Dec 14 (IANS) An auction of celebrity memorabilia during the Cinema Against AIDS gala presented by the Dubai International Film Festival has raised $1.8 million for the American Foundation for AIDS Research (amfAR), WAM reported Sunday quoting event organisers.The event, sponsored by the high-end jewellers Dubai Pearl with Cartier as the Grand Patron, was attended by a galaxy of stars, who included India’s Preity Zinta.
Friday’s auction was opened by Mexican-American actress Salma Hayek who placed for bidding a Cartier bracelet carrying her signature, which sold for $80,000.
A 1962 portrait of Marilyn Monroe signed by photographer Bert Stern, was sold for $40,000.
A total of 181 films from 66 countries will be shown during the event, running till next Thursday and seen by organisers as a showcase for world cinema.
The American charity amfAR is one of the world’s leading nonprofit organizations dedicated to the support of AIDS research, HIV prevention, treatment education, and the advocacy of sound AIDS-related public policy.
Since 1985, amfAR has invested nearly $275 million in its programmes and has awarded grants to more than 2,000 research teams worldwide.
- Aishwarya in aid of AIDS at Cannes - May 14, 2012
- Franco honoured for charity work - Jun 16, 2011
- Mallika meets Jackie Chan, again (Movie Snippets) - May 21, 2012
- Fergie honoured for charity work - Jun 25, 2011
- Elizabeth Taylor honoured for AIDS charity - Feb 11, 2011
- Bips asks fans for new DVD title (Movie Snippets) - May 14, 2012
- Monroe's teenage photos up for auction - Nov 09, 2011
- Leave Ash alone, say fans - Jun 01, 2012
- Not styling Ash for Cannes red carpet: Sabyassachi - May 20, 2012
- Bullock pays tribute to Liz Taylor - Oct 29, 2011
- J.Lo raises $6.7mn for AIDS charity at Cannes auction - May 22, 2010
- Monroe's items set auction on fire - Dec 18, 2011
- Elizabeth Taylor leaves bulk of fortune for AIDS charity - Mar 27, 2011
- MJ's glove sold for $330K at auction - Dec 06, 2010
- Michael Jackson's glove sold for $330K at auction - Dec 07, 2010
Tags: actress salma hayek, american charity, bert stern, celebrity memorabilia, dubai international film festival, galaxy of stars, grand patron, hiv prevention, international film festival, preity zinta