10th Osian film fest to focus on writing for moviesJune 19th, 2008 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 19 (IANS) The 10th edition of the Osian’s-Cinefan Festival of Asian & Arab Cinema, starting in New Delhi July 10, will focus on writing and cinema with special reference to adaptation of novels for films. “We have brought in several films based on literature, including some of those based on the works of Nobel Laureate Naguib Mahfouz,” Neville Tuli, chairman Osian, told IANS.
“There will be a special focus on ‘The Kiss of the Spiderwoman’ and it will be followed by discussions between writers and filmmakers. This will be another effort on our part give new dimension to the festival,” added Tuli.
Noted Hollywood scriptwriter Paul Schrader has been invited to speak in Master-class on screen writing section. He will dwell at length on personal approach to screenplay writing.
“He will analyse the elements of a story and talk about how metaphors can be found from one’s own life that can be turned into a compelling and powerful screenplay,” stated a press release.
Director Martin Scorsese’s “Taxi Driver”, made on Schrader’s script, and Schrader’s own directorial 1985 venture “Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters”, will also be screened at the festival.
Schrader’s deliberations on screenplay writing will be a part of the Talent Campus India section that the festival has been organising for the last five years.
He will also address an open session in which he will put forth his views on forces that are coalescing to end the 20th century notion of “movies” and what the future of audio-visual entertainment will be.
About 150 movies from 40 countries will be screened at the festival which, from this year onwards, has also included in its programming short fiction movies from Asian and Arab world to widen its scope.
To mark the 10th anniversary this year, Osian’s-Cinefan has introduced new awards and competitions with the objective of encouraging and recognising creativity and excellence in various skills involved in the art of making films.
- Osian back with second mega auction of movie art - Jul 11, 2012
- Indian, world cinema set new trends at Osian's film fest (Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- Osian's Cinefan Film Festival returns in July - Mar 24, 2012
- 11th Osian's-Cinefan Film Festival all set to kick of in New Delhi - Oct 15, 2009
- Osian's film fest back with rare, bold films - Jul 11, 2012
- Osian's film fest begins with tribute to Rajesh Khanna - Jul 28, 2012
- Two awards for 'BA Pass' at Osian's film fest - Aug 05, 2012
- 11th Osian film fest to put spotlight on India - Oct 06, 2009
- India's screen divas are symbols of Indian femininity: Neville Tuli (Interview)(With Image) - Jun 15, 2012
- Aamir now owns Shammi Kapoor's jacket - Aug 01, 2012
- 11th Osian film fest boasts of changes - Oct 15, 2009
- Make space for arthouse cinema: Kiran Rao - Jul 30, 2012
- 'Xtrme City' about Mumbai mafia, families, romance: Paul Schrader (Interview) - Oct 31, 2009
- Osian film fest returns, starts July 27 - May 23, 2012
- Thanks to censor, tough time for filmmakers: Sanjay Suri - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: film fest