10th Osian film fest has grand openingJuly 12th, 2008 - 1:27 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 11(IANS) The inaugural ceremony of the 10th Osian’s-Cinefan Film Festival of Asian and Arab Cinema here Friday evening saw prominent members of the film fraternity, including some Bollywood celebrities, walk the red carpet. Indian actor Konkona Sen Sharma entered without creating a flutter followed by Chief Minister Sheila Dixit, who caught all the media frenzy leaving Nandita Das out of the camera frame.
A horde of people queued up outside the main auditorium at Siri Fort to attend the opening ceremony that commenced with a dramatic overture by actor and compere-auctioner of the Osian’s Connoissuers of Art, Rajit Kapur.
An audio-visual clipping tracing the nine years of the Osian’s journey was showcased. Founder-chairman of the Osian’s Connoisseurs of Art Neville Tuli later came up on the stage to retrace the birth and evolution of the gala.
“Osian’s is all about bringing a new sensibility and new value system. It’s not just the money but a lot more things make up Osian’s. It is about doing things without thinking about the consequences. They have lost the ability of giving without thinking of the consequences,” Tuli said.
Aruna Vasudev, founder of film festivals Cinemaya and Cinefan that were taken over by Osian’s half a decade ago, has also been working closely with Tuli. At the ceremony, she also handed over the reigns of the management of the affair to Tuli.
Sheila Dixit was invited on stage to declare the 10th Osian’s-Cinefan Film Festival open by lighting the lamp along with Tuli, Vasudev, Padgaonkar and Shrikent.
Also, eminent director Basu Chatterjee felicitated renowned Indian filmmaker Mrinal Sen with the Lifetime Achievement award for his contribution to cinema. The same title was also bestowed upon veteran actor Shammi Kapoor in Mumbai at a two-day premiere of the Osian’s fest held last month.
Versatile writer, poet and journalist of Phillipines Jose ‘Pete’ F. Lacaba was awarded the writer’s award renamed this year as the Aruna Vasudev Lifetime Achievement award.
The eminent jury of all competitive sections at the Osian’s, comprising industry stalwarts like Indonesian actress Christine Hakim, Indian director Ketan Mehta, British filmmaker Tony Rayns, Pakistani actor Mohammad Bakri and many others were welcomed on the stage.
Since the inaugural ceremony was to be followed by the opening film of the festival, “Sparrow” by Hong Kong-based filmmaker Johny To, the director was invited on stage to talk about the film.
- Two awards for 'BA Pass' at Osian's film fest - Aug 05, 2012
- Osian's film fest begins with tribute to Rajesh Khanna - Jul 28, 2012
- Indian, world cinema set new trends at Osian's film fest (Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- Osian's Cinefan Film Festival returns in July - Mar 24, 2012
- India's screen divas are symbols of Indian femininity: Neville Tuli (Interview)(With Image) - Jun 15, 2012
- Aamir now owns Shammi Kapoor's jacket - Aug 01, 2012
- Osian back with second mega auction of movie art - Jul 11, 2012
- Tenth Osian''s-Cinefan Film Festival kicks off in New Delhi - Jul 12, 2008
- Mrinal Sen to receive lifetime achievement award at Osian - May 13, 2008
- Documenting the history of Asian cinema - Dec 10, 2010
- Lack of respect for intellect, creativity pained Mani: Neville Tuli - Jul 06, 2011
- Gulzar gets lifetime award at 11th Osian's - Oct 24, 2009
- 11th Osian film fest boasts of changes - Oct 15, 2009
- Osian's film fest back with rare, bold films - Jul 11, 2012
- I'm never satisfied with my work: Imtiaz Ali - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: art neville, auctioner, bollywood celebrities, camera frame, film festivals, inaugural ceremony, indian actor, indian filmmaker, konkona sen sharma, lacaba, lifetime achievement award, media frenzy, mrinal sen, neville tuli, red carpet, shammi kapoor, sheila dixit, siri, versatile writer, veteran actor