102-year-old director Monoel de Oliveira back at the Cannes film festivalMay 16th, 2010 - 7:24 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Cannes, May 16 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A 102 year old Portuguese film director screened “The Strange Case of Angelica”, at the Cannes film festival on Thursday. The director, Monoel de Oliveira has thus screened a total of 34 feature films in his career. Oliveira who has three films nominated for the Cannes’ Palme d’Or top prize is a regular at the film festival.
The film “The Strange Case of Angelica” is about a photographer who falls in love with a dead woman. The photographer fell in love with the young beautiful girl’s corpse when he was taking pictures of it. Oliveira told reporters that the plot for the movie was adapted from a novel, which had been developed for over sixty years.
The film is in a secondary competition, ‘Un Certain Regard Section’. Also in that competition is a film by Xavier Dolan. Dolan’s movie is “Heartbeat” and it will be competing in the same section as that of Olveira’s. Dolan is just a 21 year old Canadian, and it’s interesting how his film will match up to a man, who is so elder to him.
On the issue of dying, Oliveira said he was not afraid to die but was afraid to suffer from diseases. He remarked, “Death is a door, that’s it”.
- Indian's movie on Bollywood makes it to Cannes - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Gangs of Wasseypur' set for world premiere at Cannes - Apr 24, 2012
- Uday Shankar's classic 'Kalpana' heads to Cannes - Apr 27, 2012
- 102-Year-Old Director Arrives At Cannes To Showcase Latest Film - May 16, 2010
- 'The Angels' Share' wins jury prize at Cannes - May 28, 2012
- 'Peddlers' team in customs hassle - May 31, 2012
- 'Reality' wins grand prize at Cannes - May 28, 2012
- 'Amour' wins Palme d'Or top prize at Cannes - May 28, 2012
- Avant garde Thai director wins Cannes' Palme d'Or - May 24, 2010
- Italy's Nanni Moretti named Cannes president - Jan 21, 2012
- Thai director Weerasethakul wins Cannes' Palme d'Or - May 24, 2010
- Cannes movie marathon ends as prizes start to roll out - May 24, 2010
- 'Gangs...' male dominant, but with strong women: Huma Qureshi - May 19, 2012
- 'Peddlers' heads to Toronto film fest - Aug 01, 2012
- Tannishtha, Nawazuddin win big award at NY film fest - May 31, 2012
Tags: angelica, beautiful girl, cannes film festival, cannes palme, corpse, dead woman, diseases, dolan, feature films, film director, film festival cannes, heartbeat, love, novel, photographer, sixty years, strange case, three films, un certain regard, xavier