‘Moner Manush’ Movie Review: The Mystery Still LingersDecember 7th, 2010 - 9:01 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Director: Goutam Ghose
Cast: Prosenjit Chatterjee, Paoli Dam, Priyanshu Chatterjee
‘Moner Manush’, Goutam Ghose’s take on Sunil Gangopadhyay’s novel of the same name, impresses but does not help to solve the questions which haunt the minds of the modern man. What exactly is the inner being? When exactly do we realize that we have come across a ‘soul man’? These are questions put forward by Prosenjit Chatterjee’s character Lalon Fakir in the film but unfortunately are not answered by him. The critics or the audience are not complaining though because they have realized that even a primitive man like Lalon Fakir harbored the same feelings as they do.
Indeed, Goutam Ghose’s ‘Moner Manush’ introduces to us a man who could baffle the philosophers of the 19th century and was also an inspiration to literary stalwarts like Rabindranath Tagore. Yes, he did inspire Rabindranath Tagore in spite of the fact that he was not educated. All the preachings of Lalon Fakir were through his baul song renditions.
Prosenjit Chatterjee impresses as Lalon Fakir, this one probably being his best performance to date. Though there is hardly any reference to the legendary baul singer in our archives, Prosenjit Chatterjee plays his part with confidence and shows wonderful voice modulations as ‘Moner Manush’ shows Lalon Fakir’s journey over a span of five decades. The supporting cast members Paoli Dam and Priyanshu Chatterjee performs well too.
- A rural ascetic brings India riches at IFFI - Dec 02, 2010
- Gautam Ghose's 'Moner Manush' Is An Indo-Bangladeshi Joint Venture - Aug 04, 2010
- 'Moner Manush' revives the 'baul' philosophy in today's times (Bengali film review) - Dec 06, 2010
- Social unrest inspires Ghose to make film on Lalon Fakir - Mar 29, 2010
- Baul songs - from ektara to fusion music (Feature) - Feb 03, 2011
- Gautam Ghose: What’s Next After Moner Manush? - Dec 22, 2010
- I slept on floor for months for 'Moner Manush' role: Prosenjit - Dec 04, 2010
- Now Goutam Ghosh to wow Nepal cinegoers - Jan 30, 2011
- Gautam Ghose's next film an English-Hindi bilingual - Dec 21, 2010
- Prosenjit Chatterjee: Only Mithunda Could Excel My Lalon Phakir - Dec 04, 2010
- I will direct a film this year: Prosenjit Chatterjee - Mar 02, 2011
- Mamata and movie hall magic - after 20 years! - Sep 30, 2011
- I can't do what Mr. Bachchan did in KBC: Prosenjit - Mar 06, 2011
- Paoli Dam Talks About Her Dream Role - Oct 20, 2010
- Arpita Chatterjee And Saheb Chatterjee Share A Lip-lock In 'Laboratory' - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: 19th century, baul song, best performance, cast members, fakir, modern man, modulations, moner manush, movie review, philosophers, preachings, primitive man, priyanshu chatterjee, rabindranath tagore, renditions, soul man, spite, stalwarts, sunil gangopadhyay, supporting cast