Zimbabwe unveils 100 trillion dollar banknoteJanuary 16th, 2009 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
Harare, Jan 16 (Xinhua) The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) has introduced a new family of trillion Zim-dollar banknotes in denominations of 100 trillion, 50 trillion, 20 trillion and 10 trillion that went into circulation Friday, starting with the 10 trillion notes, a media report said.The 20 trillion, 50 trillion and 100 trillion notes will be introduced gradually, The Herald newspaper said.
In a statement Thursday, the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe said the notes will ensure that those in formal employment withdraw their salaries with minimal hassle.
“In a move meant to ensure that the public has access to their money from banks, the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe has introduced a new family of banknotes which will gradually come into circulation, starting with the 10 trillion,” read the statement from the RBZ.
With effect from Jan 12, workers can now withdraw their entire January salary in cash as long as they produce their current payslips.
The new notes have the same security features as the existing ones: a colour shift stripe with RBZ printed on it, the Zimbabwe Bird colour shift on the front, and see-through of the values on either side which are in perfect register.
The 10 trillion note has the image of the RBZ Building and the Conical Tower at the Great Zimbabwe National Monuments.
The 100 trillion note has the image of a buffalo and the Victoria Falls, the 50 trillion has the Kariba Dam spilling and an elephant, while a mineworker drilling in an underground shaft and the GMB grain silos appear on the new 20 trillion note.
RBZ last week introduced 10 billion, 20 billion and 50 billion Zim-dollar notes with a view to enabling workers to access their full salaries.
Inflation in Zimbabwe has spiralled out of control. According to last official estimates, inflation in July of last year stood at 231 million percent in the country.
- Myanmar to introduce new 10,000 kyat banknotes - Jun 08, 2012
- New Rs.10 and Rs.50 banknotes soon with rupee symbol - Jul 19, 2012
- Belarus unveils 200,000-ruble banknote - Mar 13, 2012
- China to raise bank reserve ratio again - Jan 15, 2011
- Pay US dollars in Zimbabwe, but don't expect change - Jan 24, 2009
- Brazil unveils new banknotes - Feb 04, 2010
- Zimbabwe's central bank to lay off 85 percent of staff - Aug 29, 2010
- Japan's monetary base rose in October - Nov 02, 2011
- Zimbabwe issues new 10-billion-dollar note - Dec 20, 2008
- China fights inflation with bank reserves hike - Apr 18, 2011
- Reserve Bank of India hopes to contain inflation - Feb 19, 2010
- Britain calls for action as Zimbabwe sinks into turmoil - Dec 06, 2008
- Canada introduces plastic cash - Jun 22, 2011
- Russian economy more solid than Europe's : Medvedev - Nov 20, 2011
- India to produce currency paper at Mysore (Lead) - Mar 23, 2010
Tags: banknote, banknotes, conical tower, denominations, dollar notes, formal employment, grain silos, harare, kariba dam, minimal hassle, national monuments, payslips, rbz, reserve bank of zimbabwe, security features, trillion, victoria falls, xinhua, zim, zimbabwe bird