Zimbabwe to promulgate diamond policyFebruary 24th, 2012 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Harare, Feb 24 (IANS) The Zimbabwean government Thursday said it is completing a diamond policy document which will lead to the crafting of the much anticipated Diamond Bill.
Deputy Chief Secretary to the President and Cabinet Christian Katsande told state radio that the government was satisfied with the progress made so far in the formulation of the policy, adding that the document will cover all stages from exploration to post beneficiation activities, reported Xinhua.
“I am glad to announce that significant progress has been made in the crafting of the policy document which will culminate in the enactment of a Diamond Act to govern the sector. This document is critical in the development of the local diamond industry,” Katsande said.
The policy, which is currently at the draft stage, seeks to promote the country as a safe destination for diamond investors, promote accountability as well as ensuring that the valuation and marketing of the country’s diamonds meet international best practices.
Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Mines and Mining Development Prince Mupazviriwo explained that the implementation of the policy will promote integration of the diamond industry into the economy and ensure that the sector makes meaningful contribution.
Diamond deposits were discovered in 1903 in the country.
- Zimbabwe drafts new mining policy - May 13, 2012
- China to boost energy-efficient buildings - May 06, 2012
- India to train African craftswomen in basketry - Jan 10, 2012
- Modi seeks sops for Gujaratis to buy diamond mines globally - Jan 07, 2011
- Petrochemical investment policy being reviewed: Official - Sep 28, 2011
- Mugabe strengthening power base from Chiadzwa diamond auctions - Jan 30, 2011
- India's mining scenario chaotic: Rights group - Jun 14, 2012
- NID training African craftspeople - Jul 24, 2012
- Zimbabwe rejects China's $10bn economy's aid can prop up Mugabe regime - Feb 02, 2011
- India, Zimbabwe to deepen investment, trade ties - Sep 21, 2011
- Lesser known northeastern crafts caught in marketing bottleneck - Jun 14, 2012
- India's iron ore export to China has colonial trade pattern: Official - Nov 18, 2011
- Karnataka unveils animation policy to woo investments - Feb 29, 2012
- India asks Zimbabwe to ratify investment treaty - Mar 20, 2012
- Zimbabwe invites Indian investment in infrastructure, mining - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: accountability, best practices, chief secretary, diamond bill, diamond deposits, diamond industry, diamonds, draft stage, economy, enactment, implementation, meaningful contribution, mining development, permanent secretary, policy document, prince, state radio, xinhua, zimbabwe, zimbabwean government