Zardari to visit Belgium for Pakistan-EU summitJune 12th, 2009 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, June 12 (IANS) Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari will pay an official visit to Brussels June 16-19 leading the country’s delegation to the first Pakistan-European Union Summit, Online news agency reports.
Zardari will also address NATO’s policy making body, the North Atlantic Council.
He will call on the Belgian monarch, King Albert-II, and meet Belgian Prime Minister Herman Van Rompuy to discuss bilateral relations.
The president will also meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Zardari will address a select gathering of leading Belgian business executives, while a representative delegation of the Pakistani community and the Brussels Kashmir Centre will call on the president.
“The first Pakistan-EU Summit reflects EU’s strong political support to the democratic government of Pakistan. It is explicit recognition of Pakistan’s important role in promoting peace, stability and development in the region,” an official statement issued here said.
“The EU is expected to express its readiness to explore mechanisms to accommodate Pakistan’s request for greater market access and enhancement of bilateral trade by agreeing in principle to move towards an eventual Pakistan-EU FTA,” the statement added.
The EU has summit level arrangement with six states - the US, Russia, China, India, Japan and South Korea.
- PM to visit Belgium, Germany to expand bilateral ties - Dec 07, 2010
- Pakistan-EU summit faces Zardari-Gilani protocol hurdle - Feb 18, 2010
- Ansari to represent India at Asia-Europe meeting - Oct 01, 2010
- Vice-President to attend ASEM Summit in Brussels - Oct 02, 2010
- EU seeks free trade deal with India - Dec 08, 2010
- Potential for India-EU bilateral ties huge: European Council chief - Dec 10, 2010
- EU leaders agree on 120 bn euro growth initiatives - Jun 29, 2012
- Manmohan Singh's visit to Germany and Belgium fruitful: Katju - Dec 12, 2010
- PM leaves Berlin for India - Dec 12, 2010
- PM returns to India after Europe tour - Dec 12, 2010
- Next EU summit to focus on jobs: Top official - Dec 21, 2011
- EU welcomes resumption of India-Pakistan talks - Jun 05, 2010
- Iran, trade deal high on India-EU summit agenda - Feb 05, 2012
- EU President says more money will be found if needed to fight debt crisis - Jun 10, 2010
- Trade and terror on agenda, PM leaves for Belgium and Germany (Lead) - Dec 09, 2010
Tags: albert ii, angela merkel, asif ali zardari, belgian business, belgian prime minister, bilateral relations, bilateral trade, business executives, chancellor angela merkel, democratic government, european union summit, explicit recognition, german chancellor angela merkel, government of pakistan, herman van, king albert ii, market access, promoting peace, south korea, summit level