YouTube to ‘improve search techniques on site’November 11th, 2010 - 6:19 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 11 (ANI): YouTube, the world’s largest video-sharing site, has introduced its new tool called Topics that improves it capability to search and discover content.
The company said its new Topics feature aims to turn search requests like “funny videos” into meaningful results.
“People don’t know what to search for because they don’t know what’s there,” the BBC quoted Palash Nandy, a search and discovery engineer at YouTube, as saying.
The site also believes the experimental tool will deliver the unexpected from the vast video library in the firm’s digital vault.
“There are all these great gems inside YouTube that are not getting broader exposure,” Nandy said.
One of the difficulties YouTube faces is working out what best describes a video when a number of people uploading content spell words incorrectly or do not define their requests well.
With Topics, YouTube will try to deliver results by honing in on comments from users on videos they have viewed, sites that have linked to the video and even what users have watched in the past.
YouTube also said it believed its new Topics tool - available as an experimental product in the US only - would increase the amount of time users spend on the site. (ANI)
- YouTube wins court case in Spain on intellectual property - Sep 24, 2010
- YouTube increases video upload limit to 15 minutes - Aug 01, 2010
- YouTube to show British royal wedding live - Apr 20, 2011
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- 36 hours of videos uploaded on YouTube every minute - Feb 16, 2011
- Kevin Macdonald To Direct A Movie On YouTube Videos - Jul 08, 2010
- Bihar's new tool to fight corruption - YouTube - Aug 26, 2011
- YouTube removes sex video implicating Malaysian opposition leader - Apr 05, 2011
- YouTube launches Hebrew interface - Sep 06, 2010
- J&K; wants anti-Islam video blocked - Sep 14, 2012
- YouTube marks fifth birthday by announcing two billion views per day - May 19, 2010
- Terorrist groups using Facebook for recruitment - Jan 10, 2012
- YouTube, age 5, is just getting started - May 18, 2010
- Creating content for Youtube: Madonna's new job - Oct 31, 2011
- Video accounts for half of mobile data traffic - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: amount of time, bbc, capability, digital vault, discovery, engineer, experimental product, experimental tool, faces, funny videos, gems, honing, london, meaningful results, search requests, search techniques, time users, video library, video sharing, youtube