You wont catch a cold standing in the rainApril 24th, 2008 - 3:58 pm ICT by admin
London, April 24 (ANI): Do men ogle the opposite sex more than women? can we catch a cold by standing out in the rain? Is it possible bacteria in poo could be on your toothbrush? Well these are some of the issues that we are blissfully ignorant about and now a new book has revealed all the wonderful yet wacky facts about them to enlighten us.
According to Why Is Yawning Contagious? by Francesca Gould, research shows that women ogle more than men. But women have a wider range of peripheral vision, which implies they can look at a larger area than men without making it look obvious.
The book also quashes the commonly believed notion that carrots boost eyesight. It says that the idea originated with a rumour in World War Two.
The RAF spread a rumour that pilots had top night vision from eating carrots, but this was a lie to hide the fact that they had airborne radar.
Contrary to the old wives tale, sitting in a draught does not cause a cold, nor does cold weather, wet hair or standing in the rain, the book says. It explains that the reason we catch more colds in winter is not because of the weather but because we tend to stay indoors, which means we spend more time in close proximity to other people, who transmit cold viruses.
The book also claims that it is very much possible that your poo bacteria could be on your toothbrush. When a person makes poo and then activates the flush, a powerful aerosol spray of droplets may travel up to 20ft, carrying the poo bacteria with it, the book says.
Finally, the book explains the wonderful, intricate practice of contagious yawning. It says that seeing, reading, hearing or thinking about a yawn can make you do one and some experts think it evolved as a signal to others to remain alert. (ANI)
- Chimps' contagious yawning a sign of empathy, not just sleepiness - Apr 07, 2011
- Why yawning is contagious - Sep 16, 2010
- Dogs yawn hearing master do the same - May 10, 2012
- Yawning not contagious for babies: Study - Dec 01, 2010
- Taiwan's dog poo prize lottery is a big success - Dec 09, 2011
- Kiwi girls install camera in jeans to catch men ogling their bottoms - Feb 18, 2011
- Tempt us not, Lady, blurred are our glasses - Aug 11, 2012
- India has lowest per capita toothbrush consumption: Survey - Oct 12, 2011
- Your yawning may indicate desire to have sex: Scientists - Jun 27, 2010
- Itching, like yawning, can be contagious - Mar 23, 2011
- How to keep your skin glowing during monsoon - Jul 04, 2012
- Night vision goggles being used in dog fouling crackdown - Jan 30, 2012
- Chimps can "catch" yawn from yawning toons - Sep 09, 2009
- Charlize Theron likes cold weather - Apr 13, 2012
- Bengal to plan for preventing natural calamities - May 26, 2011
Tags: aerosol spray, airborne radar, close proximity, colds, draught, droplets, eating carrots, eyesight, francesca, night vision, old wives, peripheral vision, raf, rumour, standing in the rain, toothbrush, wacky facts, wet hair, world war two, yawn