Yechury calls government a failure, NIC meet a delayed affairOctober 13th, 2008 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) Sitaram Yechury, Communist Party of India-Marxist politburo member, criticised the central government Monday for its failure to intervene in incidents of communal violence against Christians in the country. The National Integration Council (NIC) meeting should have been convened much earlier, he said.”The union government has failed to intervene in the orgy of violence against the minority Christian community in Orissa, Karnataka and many other states. In fact the NIC meeting should have been convened much earlier,” Yechury said.
He demanded action against the right wing Bajrang Dal for its use of violence to pursue its political agenda.
“Police investigations in the past few years have pointed to the involvement of Bajrang Dal in various bomb blasts across the country. Given this, action against the Dal should be initiated under the Unlawful Activities Act.”
The CPI-M politburo member also criticised the economic policies followed by the present government.
“Social conflicts and tensions adversely affect national integrity and these have aggravated since the pursuance of the trajectory of economic liberalisation in the country,” said Yechury.
Speaking on the issue of terrorism, he said that though it was a matter of serious concern, it should be combated on the basis of impeccable impartiality by the various organs of the state.
- In communal violence bill don't include caste: Yechury - Sep 10, 2011
- Trinamool Congress joins opposition against communal violence bill (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2011
- Please preserve the idea of India: Manmohan Singh (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2008
- Kaushik's remark triggers political slugfest (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Political slugfest over 'no more reforms' remark (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- PM should answer why coal blocks were not auctioned: Yechury - Aug 23, 2012
- Buddhadeb hits out at Mamata's remarks - Aug 16, 2012
- Punish all 2G scam culprits, demands CPI-M - Apr 15, 2011
- Tripura government opposes communal violence bill - Sep 10, 2011
- Panel clears BJP, Hindu groups of church attacks; opposition cries foul (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- CPI-M begins introspection on poll debacle (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- CPI-M politburo meets to discuss poll debacle - Jun 10, 2011
- West Bengal opted for change: Sitaram Yechury (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Mamata irresponsible in skipping cabinet meet, says CPI-M - Jun 01, 2010
- Trinamool, NDA oppose communal violence bill (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: bomb blasts, communal violence, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, economic liberalisation, integration council, national integrity, police investigations, politburo member, social conflicts