Yamuna river crosses danger mark in DelhiAugust 17th, 2008 - 11:17 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , August 17 (ANI): After a gap of five years Yamuna river is flowing above danger mark to touch 205.55 meter in Delhi .
This is about 1.50 meters above the red mark. Precautionary measures have been stepped up.
Authorities have evacuated to safer places 60 people trapped as Yamuna overflowed in Usmanpur area.
Development Minister Rajkumar Chauhan said there is no imminent threat to life and property. He said the water level in the Yamuna is rising consistently as Haryana is releasing 25,000 cusecs of rain water everyday.
Chauhan said if it continues, the water level is expected to rise further in the next few days.
As a precaution, the authorities are releasing more than 50,000 cusecs of water from Wazirabad barrage to Okhla barrage and ITO barrage. Control rooms have been set up at strategic places to keep a round-the-clock vigil on the water flow.
The city faced heavy floods in 1978, when the Yamuna crossed the danger mark and rose to 207.49. The river had also crossed danger level in 1995 and 1998.
The Meterological department has said the city received a rainfall of 18.02 mm between 8.30 a.m. and 5.30 pm. today.
A Met official forecast cloudy sky with few spells of rain in the next 24 hours. (ANI)
- Yamuna flows above danger mark, over 900 evacuated (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Yamuna above danger mark, many evacuated in Delhi - Aug 23, 2010
- Yamuna still above danger mark - Aug 27, 2010
- Yamuna still above danger mark, Dikshit visits relief camps (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Yamuna flowing above danger mark in Delhi - Aug 21, 2010
- No threat of floods in Delhi: Minister (Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Yamuna swells, flood threat increases in Delhi - Sep 22, 2010
- Yamuna water level rises again in Delhi - Aug 28, 2010
- Yamuna ebbs further, still flowing above danger level (Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Yamuna water receding but still above danger mark - Aug 26, 2010
- Yamuna flows above danger mark in Delhi, key bridge shut (Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- Yamuna continues rising, Dikshit says no need to worry - Sep 10, 2010
- Key bridge closed as Yamuna flows 1.33 m above danger mark - Sep 21, 2010
- Yamuna swells, raises flood fears in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Yamuna above danger mark in Agra - Aug 21, 2011
Tags: barrage, cloudy sky, cusecs, danger level, danger mark, development minister, floods, gap, imminent threat, New Delhi, precaution, precautionary measures, rain water, rainfall, rajkumar, spells, vigil, water flow, water level, yamuna river