Yamuna Expressway awaits Akhilesh nod (With Image)March 21st, 2012 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, March 21 (IANS) One of the most ambitious projects of the former Mayawati government, the Yamuna Expressway awaits a nod from Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Samajwadi Party sources here said that party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav would in all probability open the mega project in April.
A project of the Jaypee Infrastructure, the Expressway, now almost complete, will reduce travelling time between Greater Noida and Agra by 90 minutes and make transport safer by road.
The 165-km Expressway along the river Yamuna will have six lanes. It will not be open to slow moving push and bullock carts.
While light vehicles can travel at a speed of 100 kmph, the heavy vehicles would be permitted at a speed of 60 kmph.
The promoters claim the Expressway will also help in the development and progress of nearby areas.
It will cut traffic on National Highway 2 which earlier used to handle all the traffic directed towards Agra from Delhi and areas like Faridabad and Palwal.
The Expressway is a project of Jaypee Group.
It was dogged by controversies, including those associated with land acquisition and protests by farmers.
Mayawati was keen to open the Expressway in December but could not as some stretches were still incomplete.
Later Election Commission restrictions on opening new projects proved a hurdle.
The concrete construction will have six interchage, five main toll plaza, 70 underpasses for vehicles and 41 minor bridges.
- Delhi-Agra run cut by half as Yamuna Expressway opens (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Jaypee's expressway to Taj cuts run from Delhi to 150 minutes (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Check the speed! Expressway accidents cause concern - Sep 01, 2012
- Villagers demand toll tax waiver at Yamuna Expressway - Aug 16, 2012
- Officially not open, Yamuna Expressway already a hit (With Images) - Jun 04, 2012
- Politics delay inauguration of Yamuna Expressway - Jan 14, 2012
- Free ride on Yamuna Expressway till Aug 15 - Aug 09, 2012
- Yamuna Expressway opens, cutting Delhi-Agra run to 150 minutes - Aug 09, 2012
- Farmers protest as Yamuna Expressway opens - Aug 09, 2012
- Five die in Yamuna Expressway accident - Aug 29, 2012
- Yamuna Expressway to be aligned Agra-Lucknow highway - Aug 28, 2012
- Agra-Lucknow Expressway to be eco-friendly - Apr 04, 2012
- Yamuna Expressway to be ready later this year: Official - Apr 26, 2011
- UP to withdraw cases slapped against farmers - Aug 22, 2012
- Akhilesh moots extension of Yamuna Expressway to Lucknow - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: ambitious projects, bullock carts, chief minister, concrete construction, controversies, election commission, faridabad, greater noida, heavy vehicles, hurdle, land acquisition, light vehicles, mega project, mulayam singh yadav, nearby areas, new projects, nod, promoters, river yamuna, Samajwadi Party