World’s third largest oil field discovered off BrazilApril 15th, 2008 - 1:57 pm ICT by admin
Rio de Janeiro, April 15 (DPA) An oil field discovered off Brazil’s Atlantic coast could prove to be the world’s third largest, National Oil Agency (NOA) said. The Carioca field in the Santos Basin off the coast of Sao Paulo state has estimated reserves of 33 billion barrels, NOA director Haroldo Lima said Monday.
“It could be the world’s biggest discovery in the past 30 years,” he said.
Brazil’s state oil company, Petrobras, which controls 45 percent of the field, said in a statement that the exact size of the find would be announced in the coming days after further studies done.
Petrobras engineers said they could not yet say whether extraction would be profitable.
Nevertheless, Petrobras stock rose 5.63 cent, closing at 82.97 reals ($49.18), after surging as high as 7.67 percent in Sao Paulo.
Lima said that while his information was from Petrobras, it was “unofficial.” energy minister Edison Labao advised waiting for the official disclosure.
If Lima’s estimates are correct, however, Carioca would rank behind Saudi Arabia’s Ghawar oil field and Kuwait’s Burgan field in size.
- Brazilian oil giant announces contracts worth $4.5 bn - Jul 21, 2012
- Brazil says offshore find holds high-grade oil - Aug 15, 2012
- Brazil's Petrobras announces deep-water oil find - Jan 27, 2011
- Brazilian firm makes offshore crude find - Mar 21, 2012
- Brazilian firm finds offshore oil, gas fields - Jul 06, 2011
- Brazil oil giant's reserves' rise - Jan 13, 2012
- Brazilian firm announces new deepwater oil find - Apr 30, 2011
- Chinese oil firm eyes investments in Brazil - Oct 13, 2011
- New oil field discovered in Angola - Jul 14, 2010
- Woman to head Brazilian oil giant - Jan 24, 2012
- Petrobras reports gas leak at drilling platform - Nov 28, 2011
- Brazil oil firm sets oil output record in April - May 09, 2010
- Brazilian oil giant makes new deep-water find - Jul 13, 2012
- `Chevron out of Brazil if it fails to comply with agreement' - Dec 05, 2011
- Brazilian firm announces oil find in Colombia - Mar 12, 2010
Tags: burgan field, disclosure, discovery, dpa, edison, energy minister, estimates, exact size, further studies, ghawar oil field, kuwait, national oil, noa, paulo lima, petrobras, rio de janeiro, santos basin, sao paulo state, saudi arabia, state oil company