World’s favourite snack celebrates 100th birthdayMarch 6th, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 6 (IANS) Oreo, the world’s most beloved cookie, will celebrate its 100th birthday with a special birthday cake edition of the iconic treat, a media report said.
Kraft, the company that now owns Oreo, will release a limited version of its biscuit and creme sandwich with a colourful filling Wednesday as fans reminisce about the classic advertising and their favourite “twist, lick and dunk” ritual.
Born March 6, 1912, the Oreo brand now fetches a staggering $1.5 billion in global revenues and is the world’s top selling cookie of the 21st Century, the Daily Mail said.
A staple in households from New Jersey to Indonesia, the first ever Oreo was baked by the National Biscuit Co. bakery on West 15th Street in New York City.
The company sold its first batch of the creme-filled delights by weight in Hoboken, New Jersey for $0.30. Inspired advertising campaigns right from the outset have ensured an enduring shelf life for the traditional cookie.
With slogans like “Oh-oh! Oreo” and “Milk’s favourite cookie” along with collaborations with ice cream manufacturers and milk advertisers, the name Oreo is never far from one’s mind when it comes to the thought of tasty tea-time treats.
Becky Tousey, Kraft Foods’ corporate archivist told ABC News: “The focus of advertising was on the fun of eating Oreos, the fun of the parts of the Oreo.”
- Oreo aims to set a Guinness World Record for the most number of 'Likes' on Facebook - Feb 17, 2011
- Today (30th July) is Cheesecake Day - Jul 30, 2012
- Candy Corn Oreos about to hit stores soon - Sep 12, 2012
- US probes bribery charge against Cadbury in India - Mar 04, 2011
- More than half Britons get injured while eating biscuits! - Sep 08, 2009
- Japanese Bakery Sells $33 Edible iPhone - Dec 29, 2010
- Now, an 'unsinkable' biscuit made from potato! - Sep 03, 2009
- Train crashes into platform in New Jersey - May 09, 2011
- At least 50 injured after train crashes into New Jersey platform - May 08, 2011
- Go for 'desi coolers' this Holi - Mar 07, 2012
- Dairy Queen Celebrates It's 25th Year - Apr 21, 2010
- Britain''s favourite dunkers are chocolate digestives - Mar 04, 2009
- Britannia targets women with new biscuit - Jul 16, 2011
- UK chip shop owner serves up deep-fried creme eggs for Easter - Apr 11, 2011
- Evans wins slam dunk, Love shoots down three-point contest - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: 100th birthday, abc news, advertising campaigns, birthday cake, biscuit, classic advertising, collaborations, colourful, corporate archivist, daily mail, global revenues, hoboken new jersey, kraft foods, london march, oreos, outset, shelf life, slogans, tea time, traditional cookie