World needs $30 bn to feed itself evey year: FAO chiefJune 26th, 2008 - 12:31 pm ICT by IANS
Innsbruck (Austria), June 26 (DPA) Up to $30 billion are needed annually to guarantee that the world population will be sufficiently fed up to 2050, the head of the UN food organization has said ahead of an international conference. European countries, development banks and the World Bank had pledged 7 billion euros (about $10.88 billion) at a summit meeting on food security in Rome in early June, Austrian news agency APA reported Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Director General Jacques Diouf as saying here Wednesday.
Speaking ahead of a FAO regional conference for Europe, Diouf predicted that food prices would remain high. Sustained demand for foodstuffs, problems created by climate change and low stocks contributed to this trend, he said.
At the FAO conference, to take place June 26-27, member states will discuss how to support emerging nations in Europe and central Asia whose recent agricultural growth is threatened by climate change and rising staple food prices.
- Brazilian economist new chief of UN food agency - Jun 27, 2011
- Hindus want emergent solution to rising world food prices - Feb 04, 2011
- ADB, FAO, AND IFAD PARTNER to address food security concerns in Asia, Pacific region - Sep 24, 2010
- FAO food price index hits new record low - Jul 06, 2012
- UN food agencies warn high food prices to continue - Oct 10, 2011
- Global food prices drop - Jun 08, 2012
- Boosted supply of food staples pushes prices down: UN - Jun 03, 2010
- Global Grocery Bill: Food Prices at All Time High - Jan 05, 2011
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- Three die as planes collide in Austria - Aug 29, 2011
- Bio-technology the only way to combat world hunger: Experts - Oct 20, 2011
- 'Only 10 percent of $22 bn pledged for food materialised' - Oct 16, 2008
- Hindus criticize World Hunger Summit for concentrating on Pope - Nov 13, 2009
- Youth Olympics should not be an expensive affair: IOC president - Jan 23, 2012
- UAE's Sheikha Fatima named UN goodwill ambassador - Oct 15, 2010
Tags: agricultural growth, austrian news, central asia, climate change, development banks, director general, dpa, european countries, fao conference, fao regional conference, food and agriculture organization, food organization, food prices, food security, foodstuffs, jacques diouf, member states, staple food, summit meeting, world population