World Bank to lend $330 mn to HaryanaAugust 17th, 2009 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) The World Bank Monday said it will give a loan of $330 million to Haryana to strengthen the power transmission and distribution system in the state.
“These transmission and distribution investments will ensure high economic returns and significant welfare improvements for consumers - both urban and rural,” Roberto Zagha, World Bank’s country director for India, said Monday.
Sudeshna Banerjee, an economist at the bank, said: “This project provides an opportunity for the bank to re-engage in the state power sector and contribute to the government’s investment program and institution development agenda.”
The bank’s aim is to make the state’s electricity transmission and urban distribution business “more efficient, cost-effective and responsive”, she added.
The loan from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) has a 30-year maturity which includes a five-year grace period.
Haryana has available generation capacity of 4,680 MW and the power shortage ranges between 400-600 MW in off-peak hours and between 1,200-1,500 MW during peak hours, resulting in a peak deficit of about 26-36 percent.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- World Bank lends Haryana $330 mn to improve power - Aug 07, 2009
- World Bank to finance Uttarakhand hydro-power project - Aug 12, 2011
- $250 mn World Bank credit for West Bengal farmers - Oct 04, 2011
- Andhra, south India safe from grid disturbances - Jul 31, 2012
- $4.3-bn World Bank loan for India (Lead) - Sep 23, 2009
- World Bank provides $405 mn for Andhra Pradesh - Dec 11, 2009
- World Bank to provide US 330 million dollars for Haryana Power System Improvement Project - Aug 17, 2009
- ADB to give $889 million for Himachal, Assam power projects - Jan 19, 2011
- ADB loan to improve power distribution in India - Feb 27, 2012
- $350 million World Bank loan for Karnataka's roads - Mar 25, 2011
- Bihar gets $132 mn ADB loan for power projects - Jun 15, 2011
- $99 mn World Bank aid for Indo-Nepal border energy pact - Jun 22, 2011
- World Bank lends 9.3 billion to India in FY 10 - Jun 24, 2010
- India to get $4.2-bn World Bank loan - Oct 13, 2009
- Karnataka to buy 1,000MW daily to meet demand - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: asian news, country director, development agenda, distribution business, distribution system, economic returns, electricity transmission, generation capacity, grace period, ibrd, indo, institution development, international bank for reconstruction and development, investment program, mw, peak hours, power sector, power shortage, power transmission and distribution, urban distribution