World Bank taps IGNOU to boost eco-friendly farmingOctober 6th, 2009 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 6 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) has bagged a World Bank project worth over Rs.10 million to train agricultural researchers to boost eco-friendly farm productivity.
IGNOU’s School of Agriculture has got a research grant of Rs.1.04 crore to undertake the prestigious project on ‘Innovations in Technology Mediated Learning’, varsity spokesman Ravi Mohan said Tuesday.
The project will help enhance crop production and economic gains for poor farmers while minimising adverse impact on the environment. It is expected to provide crucial support to improve food security and reduce poverty.
“This collaborative approach to education offers the chance to link research and learning into a coherent framework which focuses on problems of small farmers and generate more agricultural entrepreneurs,” IGNOU Vice Chancellor V.N. Rajsekharan Pillai said.
This project will be implemented in Tripura state and it is expected to cover 500 learners. IGNOU will develop three modules on Integrated Pest Management, Integrated Nutrient Management and Post-harvest Value Addition.
“The university will maintain a repository of re-usable learning objects (RLOs) at its main campus,” Latha Pillai, pro-vice-chancellor of the university said.
- IGNOU to partner with US community colleges - Aug 21, 2011
- IGNOU for paradigm shift in research policy: Vice chancellor - Apr 25, 2011
- IGNOU mulls new initiatives to expand reach - Apr 19, 2011
- IGNOU to empower the less privileged - Aug 05, 2011
- 'IGNOU at par with international institutions' - Jan 01, 2011
- 'IGNOU has brought teachers-students closer' - Jan 09, 2011
- IGNOU collaborates on Unique Identification Numbers project - Oct 28, 2010
- IGNOU to offer courses in warehousing, accounting - Aug 10, 2011
- IGNOU to award skill-recognition degrees to Indian Navy sailors - Jun 24, 2011
- IGNOU starts online training programme for teachers - Dec 26, 2010
- Sibal stresses on spreading distance education - Apr 02, 2011
- IGNOU backs e-learning - Aug 26, 2011
- IGNOU to bring out book on silver jubilee lectures - Apr 20, 2011
- Two lakh students join IGNOU community colleges - Jun 20, 2011
- IGNOU to have centre for the deaf - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: adverse impact, agricultural entrepreneurs, agricultural researchers, coherent framework, collaborative approach, crop production, crore, economic gains, farm productivity, friendly farm, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, integrated pest management, nutrient management, pillai, poor farmers, prestigious project, research grant, value addition, vice chancellor