World Bank lends Mexico $300 mn to counter fiscal risksMarch 23rd, 2012 - 2:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, March 23 (IANS) The World Bank has announced a $300 million loan to Mexico to shield it from fiscal risks.
The loan seeks “a more effective implementation of public spending in the country and greater budget stability, transparency, disaster risk management and sub-national level debt management”, the World Bank said in a statement Thursday.
“We recognize Mexico’s efforts in implementing fiscal risk management policies, which have allowed it to successfully confront external shocks, reduce the impact of global economic and financial volatility and respond appropriately to the country’s social and economic priorities,” said Gloria M. Grandolini, World Bank Director for Mexico and Colombia.
“In this way, the comprehensive approach proposed by Mexico will safeguard its programmed public spending,” Xinhua quoted her as saying.
The bank said the program contemplates three major areas: improving budget transparency and stability, maximizing the government’s capacity to respond to shocks produced by natural disasters and improving the regulatory framework for debt issuance at the subnational level.
“The program constitutes a central part of the WB’s commitment with the country’s economic development. It seeks to foster sustained, inclusive and rapid growth with a strong focus on protecting the most vulnerable population,” the WB said.
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- China's economy to grow 8.2 percent in 2012: WB (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Mexico gets $1.5 bn World Bank loan for environment - Oct 22, 2009
- Mexico girds up to deal with market turmoil, US slowdown - Aug 11, 2011
- Many nations vulnerable to unexpected shocks: IMF - Apr 17, 2012
- IMF arms itself with $430 bn new funding - Apr 21, 2012
- Budget promises reforms, growth-focus, inflation-check (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- US fiscal trajectory unsustainable, says US official - Feb 03, 2012
- Egypt turns down IMF, World Bank loans - Jun 26, 2011
- World Bank allocates $52.6 bn of assistance in 2012 - Jun 30, 2012
- RBI asks banks to watch asset quality - Nov 14, 2011
- India's financial system robust, but risks remain: RBI (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Indian banks need to raise Rs.1.75 trillion capital by 2018: RBI - Aug 04, 2012
- Indian economy a stabilising force: Anand Sharma - Nov 13, 2011
- US economy grows at modest pace - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: bank director, budget transparency, debt issuance, debt management, disaster risk, economic priorities, external shocks, financial volatility, fiscal risk management, mexico city, natural disasters, public spending, rapid growth, regulatory framework, risk management policies, subnational level, vulnerable population, wb, world bank, xinhua