Workers, management clash in Noida factoryJune 11th, 2011 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
Noida, June 10 (IANS) A clash between the management and the workers was reported in a Noida factory Friday and police had to intervene to restore order, police said.
Two officials of the garment export firm sustained injuries in the clash when they were allegedly attempting to force workers to submit their resignations during the morning attendance time.
Superintendent of Police (City) Anant Deo said the dispute has to be resolved by the labour court.
“In the morning, Sector-58 police received a complaint that the management of CT Apparel Ltd in Sector-63 was forcing some workers to submit their resignations. After the workers’ complaint of harassment, police reached the spot but both the parties requested the police not to initiate any legal action. They assured that they would resolve their differences through the labor court,” Deo said.
The CTA employs over 5,000 workers but to lack of orders from Europe, it was wrapping its business hence the retrenching of workers has become inevitable, the company said.
Labour union leaders claimed that the company has clearly mentioned in the appointment letters that the company either would compensate them with three month’s salary or would notify the workers a month earlier before retrenching them. Thus, the company was violating its own terms, they said.
Mukesh Kansal, the MD of the company, said: “Due to recession, the company is forced to retrench workers. The strength has come from 5,000 workers to 3,000 workers at present.
“How would the company afford financial load of surplus labour when it has no orders in hand,” he asked.
- Driver held for stealing Rs.35 lakh of employer - Jun 09, 2011
- Nine booked for a Noida family's deaths - Dec 28, 2011
- Company razes ancient temple in Noida - Jan 29, 2012
- Opposition leaders arrested at Greater Noida - May 09, 2011
- Workers kill company official in Yanam (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Rs.400,000 stolen from a car in Noida - Jan 05, 2010
- Violence rocks Yanam, workers kill company official (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Politics over farmer's agitation, opposition slams Mayawati (Roundup) - May 09, 2011
- US importers seek better treatment of Dhaka garment workers - Sep 05, 2010
- Family of three commits suicide in Noida - Dec 27, 2011
- Suzuki Motorcycles suspend 3 union leaders in Gurgaon - Mar 23, 2012
- Three workers injured in police firing in Yanam - Jan 27, 2012
- Dalai Lama's envoys resign - Jun 03, 2012
- Women's panel slams Noida police for naming rape victim - Feb 27, 2012
- Four arrested for raping minor girl - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: anant, appointment letters, attendance, clash, cta, deo, europe, export firm, garment export, harassment, labour court, labour union, recession, resignations, salary, superintendent, union leaders