Workers have seized Manesar plant: MarutiOctober 11th, 2011 - 12:41 am ICT by IANS
Gurgaon/New Delhi, Oct 10 (IANS) Striking workers at Maruti’s Manesar plant Monday seized control of the factory and indulged in acts of violence and vandalism, the company said.
Managers and supervisors were assaulted and equipment damaged at the plant in Haryana, Maruti said, shutting down production for a third consecutive day.
“The plant is effectively captive in the hands of striking workers who are bent upon violence,” the company said in a statement, describing the situation at the factory as “grave.”
Workers at automobile giant’s Manesar plant went on strike Friday. They were earlier on a strike from Aug 29 to Oct 1.
Maruti said 1,500 workers were inside the factory, where the Swift, SX4 and A-Star models are manufactured.
Meanwhile, the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) condemned the alleged violence inside Maruti’s Manesar plant, but said workers have a “right of collective bargain”.
“Law-and-order situation arising out of the current situation (inside Maruti Suzuki’s Manesar plant) is highly condemnable. Nobody can support any form of violence,” SIAM president S. Sandilya told reporters in New Delhi.
SIAM “hopes” that the government will immediately intervene to bring the situation under control and will take action against the guilty, he added.
- Maruti strike continues for sixth day, production hit - Oct 12, 2011
- Brief tools-down at Maruti's plant, no production loss - Jul 28, 2011
- One killed in fire at Maruti car plant - Jul 19, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki produces 200 cars at Manesar - Sep 06, 2011
- Workers on strike again at Maruti's Manesar plant - Oct 07, 2011
- Maruti strike spreads to other automobile plants (Second lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Haryana bans Maruti workers' strike - Jun 10, 2011
- Maruti strike continues for fifth day, production hit - Oct 11, 2011
- Cleaning exercise begins at Maruti factory - Jul 21, 2012
- Labour pains for Haryana government (Haryana Newsletter) - Jul 27, 2012
- Maruti suspends production at Gurgaon plant - Oct 13, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki produces 150 cars at Manesar Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- SIT to probe fresh violence in Maruti Manesar plant (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- August car sales down over 18 percent: SIAM - Sep 10, 2012
- Maruti strike continues, AITUC warns it could spread (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: acts of violence, bargain, current situation, giant, gurgaon, indian automobile manufacturers, law and order, maruti suzuki, New Delhi, siam, situation under control, star models, striking workers, suzuki, sx4, vandalism