Workers clash with police, vehicles torchedMarch 19th, 2012 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, March 19 (IANS) Workers of an export unit here clashed with police, setting fire to more than a dozen police and fire brigade vehicles in violence that left many injured.
The workers turned violent, pelting stones at the company premises. They shouted slogans accusing a contractor, Harender Singh, of assaulting them with scissors. They demanded his arrest.
Fearing trouble, the company asked the workers to vacate the company premises.
When a small police forced the site, the workers set fire to police vehicles including one belonging to Assistant Commissioner Ravinder Tomar.
When the fire brigade rushed to the site, one of its vehicles was also torched.
“Our men managed to save their lives,” fire officer I.S. Kayshap told IANS.
More than 35 vehicles, including 20 two-wheelers, were set ablaze in the violence.
Police have registered a criminal case against more that 1,000 people and detained some workers, police officer Narender Kumar said.
- Gurgaon factory violence: Contractor, 11 workers arrested - Mar 21, 2012
- Enraged workers in Gurgaon indulge in vandalism, arson - Mar 23, 2012
- Workers turn violent at Gurgaon export unit - Mar 19, 2012
- 25 labourers in Gurgaon sent to jail on arson charges - Mar 24, 2012
- Violence rocks Yanam, workers kill company official (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- East Delhi violence under control - Sep 03, 2012
- 'Police did not intervene in July 18 violence' - Jul 31, 2012
- Maoists torch vehicles in Orissa - Dec 10, 2011
- One dead, many injured in Delhi violence (Roundup) - Sep 03, 2012
- Maoists torch excavator in Odisha - Jul 20, 2012
- 10 killed in Karachi violence after leader's death (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- 20 injured as mob goes on rampage in Assam city - Jun 22, 2011
- Mathura tense, two dead - Jun 02, 2012
- Mob sets police booth, many vehicles afire in Delhi (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Criminal case against Delhi-Jaipur highway builder - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: assistant commissioner, clash with police, company premises, criminal case, fire brigade, fire officer, march 19, police officer, police vehicles, ravinder, scissors, setting fire, slogans, two wheelers, violence