Work on long-delayed Palakkad coach factory to start Oct 22September 19th, 2011 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 19 (IANS) The long-delayed Palakkad Coach factory, cleared by the rail ministry a few years ago, is finally going to materialise with the foundation stone to be laid Oct 22, Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi said.
He was speaking to reporters after a four-hour meeting with the Kerala cabinet and top officials here Monday.
“This project has been pending for a very long time and now the state government has also cleared the land required for the project and, hence, the foundation stone will be laid Oct 22nd at Palakkad,” said Trivedi.
The coach factory is to come up on 426 acres near Palakkad and, with this, more than 100 ancillary units are also likely to come up in and around the project area.
“The railways is facing a financial crunch, and if we are to clear long-pending budget proposals of the last two decades, we require around Rs.1.60 lakh crore; hence, we have decided to clear projects if the state government also chips in,” said Trivedi.
Trivedi and Minister of State for Railways K.H. Muniyappa and a team of 40 top railway officials, including the railway board chairman, took part in the marathon discussion.
“We are now awaiting the project report for setting up a rail component factory at Shertallai,” Trivedi said. “This will manufacture various components for the railways. Various models are being looked into and the state also has to chip in. If it is a public-private partnership model, things would be very fast.”
The meeting also sanctioned two new trains.
“We are really happy that a good number of positive decisions were taken and we will do all we can to further speed up the process of development in the railway sector in the state,” said chief minister Oommen Chandy.
- Trivedi awaits report on modernisation of railways - Feb 21, 2012
- Bangalore Metro rolls from Thursday - Oct 19, 2011
- Sonia to lay foundation stone of Dungarpur-Ratlam rail line - Jun 03, 2011
- Railway budget largesse to Kerala leaves LDF unimpressed - Feb 25, 2011
- Railway coach, container unit to come up at Budge Budge - Jan 12, 2011
- Dhumal seeks work on pending rail projects - Feb 19, 2012
- Trains to soon connect Cooch Behar, Jaipur: Mamata - Jan 29, 2011
- Railways to improve services in Chhattisgarh - Feb 08, 2012
- Bangalore Metro to chug from mid-September - Aug 30, 2011
- Whether me or any other, railway work should go on: Mamata - Mar 07, 2011
- Kerala assembly session begins Monday - Sep 25, 2011
- 11 senior posts in railways vacant - Sep 02, 2011
- CPI-M mocks Mamata's industrial revolution remark - Nov 01, 2011
- CPI-M blasts rail fare hikes - Mar 14, 2012
- Railway minister hints at fare hike - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: ancillary units, board chairman, budget proposals, chief minister, coach factory, component factory, dinesh, financial crunch, foundation stone, lakh, minister of state, partnership model, pending budget, public private partnership, railway board, railway minister, railway officials, railway sector, railways, trivedi