Work on controversial n-power plant to begin ThursdaySeptember 5th, 2012 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 5 (IANS) Work on the first phase of a controversial nuclear power plant in Haryana’s Fatehabad district would commence Thursday, an official said here Wednesday.
In the first phase, topographic survey and soil studies would be conducted at village Gorakhpur in the presence of officers of district administration and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and farmers of the village.
A meeting in this regard, which included senior government functionaries and officials of the district administration and NPCIL and farmers, was held Wednesday in Fatehabad, 300 km from here.
The NPCIL would start the process of topographic survey and soil studies, a spokesman said here. The team conducting the survey will submit its report to the district authorities by Sep 25 to facilitate compensation to farmers.
Chief Parliamentary Secretary (CPS) Prahlad Gillankhera said that villagers of Gorakhpur had willingly agreed to give their land for the nuclear power project. He said that all demands of affected farmers, including compensation, would be met.
He said that over 1,337 acres of land had been acquired from 838 farmers who have received a compensation of nearly Rs.411 crore.
The farmers had earlier started an agitation against the setting up of the nuclear power plant in their area and had refused to let their land be acquired.
- Despite protests, Haryana to acquire land for nuclear plant - Apr 18, 2011
- Haryana MP assures farmers on compensation for n-plant - Aug 23, 2010
- Haryana MP defends nuclear power plant - Jun 08, 2011
- Nuclear power or not? Leaders fight it out (Haryana Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Haryana offers two sites for second nuclear power plant - Jun 22, 2011
- Haryana farmers oppose land acquisition for nuke plant - Sep 09, 2011
- Haryana to have nuclear energy centre - Jul 03, 2010
- India to launch 16 new nuclear reactors - Jun 01, 2012
- Schools to shut for two days against Jaitapur n-power plant - Jan 10, 2011
- 'Haryana n-plant completely safe' - Dec 03, 2009
Tags: 411, agitation, chandigarh, cps, district administration, district authorities, farmers, gorakhpur, haryana, India, npcil, nuclear power corporation, nuclear power plant, nuclear power project, parliamentary secretary, presence, regard, soil studies, spokesman, topographic survey