Women two-wheeler riders may have to wear helmetsJuly 4th, 2011 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 4 (IANS) If the Delhi Traffic Police has its way, all women who drive two-wheelers or ride pillion in the capital may soon have to wear helmets.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg posted on social networking site Facebook Monday that helmets should be mandatory for all two-wheeler riders.
“They (Delhi government) recently asked for our comments on the issue and we communicated that wearing helmets must be compulsory for women while riding or driving a two-wheeler,” posted Garg.
“Very frequently, people raise this point that women are equally vulnerable to injuries while riding or driving two-wheelers,” he added.
According to Garg, more than 100 women died in road accidents last year while travelling on bikes and scooters.
“If women were wearing helmets in these cases, many of them could have survived,” he said.
However, the joint commissioner was “surprised” by Delhiites attitude of avoiding helmets and risking their lives just because it was not a law yet.
“I am surprised by the attitude of people. Even if it is not compulsory, why should not women wear helmets? Why should they wear them only when it is compulsory?” he asked.
- Helmets to be made mandatory for women in Delhi - Apr 25, 2012
- High Court notice to Delhi government on contempt plea - Jul 13, 2012
- Six people killed in accidents on Holi (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- 86 rogue bikers penalised in Delhi - May 14, 2012
- Holi revellers warned against breaking traffic rules - Mar 19, 2011
- 8,000 fined for Holi traffic violations - Mar 21, 2011
- 777 people fined for drunk driving - Mar 08, 2012
- Flipside of Anna's movement: Traffic violations galore - Aug 24, 2011
- Police cameras to watch 'devils on wheel' - Mar 20, 2012
- Notice to Delhi government on plea to make helmet compulsory - Aug 24, 2011
- Helmets must for bikers, pillion riders: Transport minister (Goa Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012
- Delhi drive: 543 commercial vehicles prosecuted - Jul 13, 2011
- Holi claims seven lives on Delhi roads - Mar 09, 2012
- 181 more prosecuted for drunk driving - Mar 10, 2012
- Delhi complying with rules against tinted glasses: Police - May 05, 2012
Tags: 100 women, attitude, bikes, commissioner of police, delhi government, helmets, july 4, New Delhi, police traffic, risking their lives, road accidents, scooters, social networking site, traffic police, two wheeler, two wheelers