Women in Bihar plough fields, sing to please rains godsJuly 29th, 2011 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 29 (IANS) Women in Bihar’s Buxar district are performing a curious ritual to reduce the rain deficit in the state — ploughing fields, singing and dancing at night to appease the ‘angry’ rains gods.
Scanty rainfall in July has upset farmers who were hopeful of a normal monsoon this time after facing two consecutive drought years. Hence, the ritual.
According to Shanti Devi, a farmer’s wife, men are not allowed to visit the fields when women plough. “In fact, men are prohibited to watch them in fields,” she said.
The ritual, known as Harparauri, is being performed in villages like Chanda and Simri. “It is an age-old ritual, performed when rain gods are angry,” said Saneev Singh, a farmer of a village in Chakki block.
“It is a belief that the ritual would turn rain gods happy, leading to heavy rains, which is essential for bumper crops,” Singh said.
Another farmer, Prabhu Tiwari, said that “farmers are worried and a repeat of a drought-like situation is haunting them”. He said that women have vowed to continue the ritual until it rains very heavily.
In Bihar, only men are known to plough fields, symbolising hard work.
The state has recorded 441 mm rainfall since June 1 against the season’s average of 462 mm. “The rainfall is five percent less than normal,” state Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh said.
Last year, the Bihar government declared all the 38 districts drought-hit due to a rainfall deficit of nearly 22 percent. In 2009 as well, the government declared 26 districts drought-hit.
- Fear of drought haunts Bihar again - Jul 03, 2012
- Monsoon brings hope for Bihar's drought-hit farmers - Jun 24, 2011
- Monsoon arrives in parched Bihar - Jun 18, 2011
- Good rainfall allays fear of drought in Bihar - Aug 10, 2011
- Bihar set for a normal monsoon - Jun 08, 2011
- Pre-monsoon showers cool Bihar - Jun 13, 2011
- Will drought haunt Bihar farmers again? - Jul 07, 2010
- Drought-hit Bihar braces for rice scarcity - Dec 06, 2010
- Over 60 percent of Bihar reeling under drought - Aug 02, 2010
- Scanty rains spark drought fears in Bihar - Jun 29, 2010
- After drought, bumper paddy crop cheers Bihar farmers - Dec 12, 2011
- Buddhist monks pray for rain in Bihar - Aug 08, 2009
- Drought-hit Bihar farmers' hopes lie in power supply - Aug 07, 2010
- Widespread rains in Andhra revive farmers' hopes - Jul 21, 2012
- Rains lash parched Bihar - Aug 24, 2010