Women climb water tank to protest poor rehab facilitiesDecember 14th, 2010 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Dec 14 (IANS) Five women and two 15-year-old boys climbed atop a high water storage tank and threatened to jump off to protest the inadequate rehabilitation facilities after their land was acquired by the government for a multi-modal hub near the city, a police official said.”The women along with the boys climbed on top of the tank and threatened to commit suicide if their demands for proper rehabilitation were not met,” said senior police inspector Ashok Babul.
“Time and again, people from the adjoining villages, whose lands have been acquired, come up with different modes of protest,” Babul added.
The scene at the spot seemed straight out of the popular Bollywood movie ‘Sholay’ as the residents of the village and the police tried to convince the women and the boys to come down to safety.
“The women, however, threatened to jump off if anyone tried to go near the steps of the water tank,” Babul said.
“But we had made our arrangements,” Babul added. “Several police officers had set up a safety net a few feet above the ground.”
The multi-modal hub - MIHAN or Multi-modal International Cargo Hub and Airport - an economical development project currently under way, is spread over an area of 4,354 hectares.
- Relief promised for displaced in Nagpur airport project - Dec 15, 2010
- Teaching a lesson to the Badal government (Punjab Newsletter) - Dec 09, 2011
- Urdu teachers climb water tank to press for demands - Feb 21, 2011
- Teachers climb water tank in protest; baton charged (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- Railways plans massive development of vacant land - Mar 11, 2011
- Balmer Lawrie plans four multi-modal logistics hub - Sep 26, 2010
- Andhra nurses call off hunger strike atop water tank (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh initiates work on freight corridor - Jun 02, 2012
- 'Sholay' scene enacted in Gurdaspur Central Jail - Mar 19, 2012
- Nagpur airport to get advanced surveillance cameras - Jun 25, 2010
- Jharkhand parties protest land recovery for IIT, IIM - Jul 10, 2012
- Two jobless women teachers jump from water tank in Punjab - Jun 22, 2010
- Mentally ill man climbs up Howrah Bridge - Dec 03, 2010
- Dharmendra To Recreate 'Sholay' Magic In Yamla Pagla Deewana - Nov 10, 2010
- Treetop protester is a proclaimed offender, say police - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: 15 year old boys, ashok, babul, bollywood, cargo hub, economical development, five women, high water, international cargo, mihan, modes, police inspector, police officers, police official, rehab facilities, rehabilitation facilities, safety net, sholay, water storage tank, water tank