With rising ridership, Delhi Metro to have more gatesJune 20th, 2012 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) With commuter volumes crossing the two million mark on six days in June alone this year, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) proposes to upgrade commuter facilities by installing more elevators and Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) gates at Metro stations.
The average daily ridership of Delhi Metro has increased from nearly 1.8 million passengers in May to over 1.9 million in June.
A DMRC statement said: “In June, Delhi Metro has crossed the two million mark in ridership six times so far and has registered its highest ridership of 20,94,067 on June 11, surpassing the earlier record of 20,83,755 set on August 12, 2011.”
The DMRC will install more than 200 new Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) gates at different Metro stations to facilitate commuter movement.
“The new AFC gates will be installed at important stations where the footfalls are higher like Kashmere Gate, NOIDA City Centre, NOIDA Sector 15, Dilshad Garden, Laxmi Nagar and other important stations,” the statement said.
Five new lifts have been installed at the Chawri Bazar, Patel Nagar, Jasola and Vaishali Metro stations.
In addition, the exit gate at the Metro station leading to New Delhi railway station has been redesigned to avoid overcrowding.
The Delhi Metro normally makes over 2,700 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on weekdays.
- Delhi Metro's new stretch to open Saturday - Aug 26, 2011
- Soon, automatic top-up of Metro smart cards - Jan 15, 2012
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- Kirti Nagar-Ashok Park Metro trial run started - Jul 14, 2011
- New Metro link to connect three corridors - Aug 07, 2011
- Huge crowds on Delhi Metro due to Games - Oct 05, 2010
- Delhi Metro's new stretch opens - Aug 27, 2011
- Metro stations to have digital pods for information - Jan 30, 2011
- Metro to alert passengers on approaching trains - Jan 30, 2012
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
- Get trade fair tickets at Metro stations - Nov 12, 2011
- Efforts on to minimise Metro snags, say officials - Mar 30, 2012
- Delhi Metro tries to curb suicides at stations - Sep 06, 2012
- Delhi Metro instals equipment to handle cardiac arrests - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: chawri bazar, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, elevators, exit gate, footfalls, gates, metro station, metro stations, New Delhi, overcrowding, patel nagar, railway station, ridership, six days in june, six times, two million, vaishali, weekdays