Wipro Q3 up nine percentJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 12:23 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Jan 22 (ANI): Indian No.3 outsourcer Wipro Ltd met expectations with an 8.7 percent rise in quarterly profit, but gave a downbeat outlook as its Western clients clamoured for lower prices, sending its shares down.
Wipro forecast its information technology services revenue, including from its acquisition of Citi Technology Services, at 1.05 billion dollars in the current quarter, down seven percent from the October-December period.
Talking to reporters here on Wednesday, Wipro Chairman Azim Premji said, “It is clear that 2009 will be a tough year. Consumer confidence is down significantly and leading indicators such as world economy is still not bottomed out. This will affect economic activity leading to capital conservation and revenue reductions and opex reduction and cost reductions.”
Wipro had earlier said Nortel, which last week filed for bankruptcy protection, contributed less than 1.5 percent to its IT revenue and it expects a major portion of its business with it will continue.
Wipro’’s earnings follow results from No. 2 exporter Infosys Technologies, which beat profit expectations but still trimmed its annual revenue forecast, while sector leader Tata Consultancy Services” profit lagged forecasts. (ANI)
- Wipro admits to performing lower than industry peers (Second Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Wipro outlook cautious on flat growth (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Premji admits Wipro underperformed in Q3, eyes $1.4 bn in Q4 (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Global uncertainty not affecting IT industry: Premji (Second Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Wipro battles to grow in volatile market (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- No impact of uncertainty on IT business: Premji (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Wipro achieves a quarterly profit of 31 percent - Jul 24, 2010
- Wipro looks for growth in new geographies (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Wipro upbeat despite flat IT growth - Oct 31, 2011
- Wipro net up for quarter, fiscal; sees flat IT growth (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Wipro sees higher IT revenue in Q3 on strong growth - Oct 22, 2010
- Wage hike dips Wipro net, projects flat growth - Jul 20, 2011
- Wipro net profit up 21 percent, projects higher IT revenue (Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Wipro successfully adapting to global meltdown - Jul 22, 2009
- Wipro will hire 50 percent staff globally by 2015 - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: acquisition, azim premji, bankruptcy protection, billion dollars, consumer confidence, earnings, economic activity, information technology services, leading indicators, outsourcer, q3, quarterly profit, sector leader, tata consultancy services, wipro ltd, world economy