Wipro-Canara Bank ink rural banking dealMarch 10th, 2011 - 10:43 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 10 (IANS) Global software major Wipro Infotech Thursday signed a five-year deal with state-run Canara Bank to implement its regional rural bank initiative.
To begin with, the IT bellwether will provide its core banking solution to the three regional rural banks sponsored by the bank - Pragathi Gramin Bank in Karnataka, South Malabar Gramin Bank in Kerala and Shreya Gramin in Uttar Pradesh, the company said in a statement here.
“The initiative will enable the bank to achieve financial inclusion and bring low-cost banking services to the rural masses. The core banking solution will facilitate efficient internal operations for the three rural banks in offering innovative products and services at optimum costs,” Wipro vice president Anand Sankaran said.
The bank aims to integrate about 900 branches and offices in a phased manner with extension counters, training centres, data centre, disaster recovery centre and network operations centre.
“The partnership is a major step towards technology enablement and process transformation of regional rural banks in offering efficient banking services to the rural masses and enlarge the clientele base to drive financial inclusion,” Sankaran noted.
The company won the contract in a competitive bidding in which global and Indian IT majors participated.
Earlier, Wipro bagged a five-year total outsourcing deal with Central Bank of India for its seven regional rural banks and a seven-year similar deal with UCO Bank for its five sponsored rural banks.
- WIPRO computerises five cooperative banks - Jul 31, 2012
- Wipro leading IT service provider in Saudi Arabia - Dec 05, 2011
- 72,000 more villages to get banking services by 2012 - Feb 06, 2011
- Healthcare insurance portal snag rectified: Wipro - Jul 19, 2011
- Wipro to digitise crime records under e-governance plan - Aug 02, 2010
- Wipro wins IT deal from British energy firm - Oct 29, 2010
- 105 branches of Canara Bank inaugurated - May 28, 2012
- Wipro first India Company to offer 100 percent recyclable and toxin-free computers - Feb 11, 2010
- Wipro bags customer excellence award - Nov 29, 2011
- Wipro's first rural BPO centre comes up in Tamil Nadu - Aug 26, 2011
- HCL to provide IT services to Etisalat customers - May 09, 2011
- Wipro unveils slimmest ultrabook for Indian market - Feb 21, 2012
- Kozhikode Cyberpark gets Special Economic Zone tag - Jun 24, 2011
- Qatar Airways signs pact with Wipro for IT solutions (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Australian mining firm picks Wipro for IT solution - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: bank of india, banking solution, bellwether, canara bank, central bank of india, clientele base, competitive bidding, core banking, disaster recovery, extension counters, global software, internal operations, network operations centre, outsourcing deal, rural bank, rural banks, sankaran, south malabar gramin bank, technology enablement, wipro infotech